Old 25-03-2003, 01:56 PM
TheScullster

Default Will Escallonia and Pyracantha Survive?

Hi All

In answer to a recent post on hedge alternatives, I was directed towards
Escallonia and Pyracantha (along with laurel).
The question is will these survive in the following location:

Swanland Village west of Hull.
At the top of a Hill but protected by one row of bungalows to the north.
Gets quite cold and snowy in winter due to exposure
Alongside a public path - so some pedestrian traffic alongside

TIA

Phil

Old 25-03-2003, 06:32 PM

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:46:53 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi All

In answer to a recent post on hedge alternatives, I was directed towards
Escallonia and Pyracantha (along with laurel).
The question is will these survive in the following location:

Swanland Village west of Hull.
At the top of a Hill but protected by one row of bungalows to the north.
Gets quite cold and snowy in winter due to exposure
Alongside a public path - so some pedestrian traffic alongside

TIA

Phil

Not sure about escalonia (seem to remember reading that this plant
likes being at the seaside) but I feel sure pyracantha and laurel are
both tough plants. Diana

Old 25-03-2003, 06:44 PM
bnd777

Well i planted a load in dry sandy soil North facing with some huge old
conifers behind them last year and they are doing great

Old 26-03-2003, 12:56 AM
shannie

Escallonia do like the seaside, but are very hardy and will most likely do
well anywhere Im about 80mls from the sea and mine is thriving. During those
mysterious years when the 'it wasn't me' man either fell into them or kicked
a football into them they would often be damaged and always made a wonderful
recovery. However, a note of warning, as you mention pedestrian traffic, my
escallonia attracts enormous amounts of wasps and bees when in flower...may
be a point to consider. Pyracantha is also very hardy, again mine are doing
very well, they seem to love the cold. These are very thorny and tend not to
get damaged too much by pedestrians
hope this helps

Shan (Ireland)

(replace the "at" with the usual symbol.)

Old 27-03-2003, 08:56 AM
TheScullster

Many thanks to all

The bit about wasps is particularly useful - I will make sure they aren't
too close to a door/window.

Phil