GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting Leeks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/11615-transplanting-leeks.html)

Kman 25-03-2003 01:56 PM

Transplanting Leeks

I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

---

Stephen Howard 25-03-2003 04:08 PM

Transplanting Leeks

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:47:13 -0000, "Kman"
wrote:

I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

You needn't worry, the roots are so brittle that they tend to get
damaged during the transplant process - so simply cut them off about
an inch from the base.
I snip a few inches off the leaves too, to lessen moisture loss.
Make sure you water them in well - and using dibber holes, don't
bother to fill them in.

They'll put out new roots in no time at all.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Cerumen 26-03-2003 07:08 AM

Transplanting Leeks

"Kman" wrote in message
I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots

up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

Yes, I always used to trim both tops and roots of my leek seedlings before
planting out.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

janet.bennett 27-03-2003 08:44 PM

Transplanting Leeks

Leeks are among the most tolerant and trouble-free vegetables to
grow - apart from a little bit of extra work.

a.. Choose two or three varieties so you can have early leeks from
October to November, mid-season from December to January, and late from
February to April.

b.. Varieties I'm sowing this year.

c.. Sow the seeds thinly in shallow drills about 6 inches apart in
March or April.

d.. Thin them to about 1 inch apart. I have successfully
transplanted the thinnings - and eaten others as a delicious alternative to
spring onions.

e.. The leeks are ready for transplanting when they are about 8
inches high, and the thickness of a pencil. I lift my early potatoes, fork
in some compost from the heap, and transplant the leeks.
a.. Water the seed bed the day before you transplant.
b.. Make a 6 inch deep hole with a dibber.
c.. Drop in the leek seedling and gently fill the hole with water.
Don't fill it with soil!
d.. Space the leeks 6 inches apart, in rows 12 inches apart.

f.. Keep the weeds down, and draw soil (gently!) around the stems -
but not into the leaves.

g.. Start harvesting when they are still quite small - and as and
when you need them. Lift them gently with a fork.

Growing Calendar - Leeks

Sow inside; in greenhouse; or under cover

Plant out

Sow direct in beds

Harvesting

a.. This calendar is based on my allotment in Yorkshire; southerners
will start earlier, northerners even later!

Vegetable
Rotation bed

Leek
Year 3 (of four)

To Vegetables Index
Top Onions Spring and Salad Onions Shallots Garlic

Stephen Howard 27-03-2003 09:44 PM

Transplanting Leeks

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:37:37 -0000, "janet.bennett"
wrote:

Leeks are among the most tolerant and trouble-free vegetables to
grow - apart from a little bit of extra work.

a.. Choose two or three varieties so you can have early leeks from
October to November, mid-season from December to January, and late from
February to April.

b.. Varieties I'm sowing this year.

??

Aww g'wan.... do tell ;)

f.. Keep the weeds down, and draw soil (gently!) around the stems -
but not into the leaves.

I've never bothered with that earthing-up malarkey for my leeks....I
tend to make the dibber holes deeper in the first place.
Also, I like a bit of green on my leeks at table.
One neat trick is to drop an old loo roll over the leek just before
they overwinter - you get a semi-blanched effect which works quite
well.

g.. Start harvesting when they are still quite small - and as and
when you need them. Lift them gently with a fork.

I've still got a stand of Musselburgh in good shape - this is the
latest I've ever had them. Either the weather's been good to them, or
I've eaten less leeks this winter!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Roy Bailey 28-03-2003 06:32 PM

Transplanting Leeks

In article , Kman
writes
I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots up
to 6 inches long.

You must have started growing these last autumn! I am only just thinking
about sowing this year's seed.

I grow Musselburgh, and they overwinter, so we are now eating leeks
planted this time last year.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.