Old 25-03-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Electric in the garden'

Jim W wrote:
Hi All...

Can anyone recommend some suppliers of garden electrical goods?

Apart from lighting and possibly a pond pump, which I'm aware will both
run on 12V.

It's perfectly possible to get outdoor lighting and pumps that run on
mains voltage, which you use is down to installation cost, safety
aspects etc.

I'd like to be able to install a small electric greenhouse heater in
case of frost whilst away.

Greenhouse is at the end of a 50ft garden.
A neighbour has run ( mains I think) power down a wire attached to his
fence to supply his shed so that he can plug in the strimmer but this
seems slightly risky to me.

It depends a bit how he's done it though, strictly according to IEE
regulations I don't think you're supposed to run a cable along a fence
because of the risk to the cable if the fence falls (or is knocked)
down. The 'right' ways to feed mains electricity to a garage are to
bury the cable (T&E in a conduit or armoured cable can be just
buried). or overhead.

What I'd like to do is have light/heat to the greenhouse, with the
possibility of lighting for the garden later..

Anyone know of:
A manufacturer of 12V greenhouse heaters?

Unlikely as the current required would be so high and thus you'd need
very thick cable to feed it and an expensive transformer. What sort
of wattage is required for a greenhouse heater? My guess would be in
the 250 to 500 watt region which is 20 to 40 amps at 12 volts. You'd
lose much of the power in the cable from the house unless it was
*very* thick.

A kit for just doing power for these type of things (eg not as part of a
lighting or pond set) or is it a Wickes and Maplins job?

It's more a "decide what you need" and then buy the bits at your local
electrical wholesaler or maybe B&Q.

Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers
//
Jim
North London, England, UK

I was originally from there too.

--
Chris Green )
Old 25-03-2003, 08:56 PM
JimM

I've done this exact job. If you are not too sure about electrics I'd leave
it to a professional but as a keen diy-er I gave it a go.

Ny installation is

Starting at the house I took a spur from the ring main to a 30mA RCD. This
runs to a fused connection unit. From the FCU is a run of SWA (armoured)
cable to the greenhouse which is terminated in a weatherproof double socket.
The house earth is exported along the armour of the cable, and a separate
earth rod is used at the greenhouse.

If you want any more details feel free to email or check out the uk.d-i-y
group

HTH

Jim

Old 26-03-2003, 08:44 AM

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fsdv0u.bxqtdw1bi29ssN%00senetnospam@macunlim ited.net...
What I'd like to do is have light/heat to the greenhouse, with the
possibility of lighting for the garden later..

Running electricity to outbuildings is covered in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. I don't
recall where that is kept, but a request on the group will get you a
pointer.

Colin Bignell