GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clematis Mrs Chomondley(?) pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/11648-clematis-mrs-chomondley-pruning.html)

[email protected] 25-03-2003 06:44 PM

Clematis Mrs Chomondley(?) pruning

I looked it up and found it should have been pruned to about
a foot tall a few weeks ago but it had so much growth on it I bottled
out. Can I still do it now and get lots of flowers this year? Its
about 4 years old. Diana

Charlie Pridham 26-03-2003 11:32 AM

wrote in message
I looked it up and found it should have been pruned to about
a foot tall a few weeks ago but it had so much growth on it I bottled
out. Can I still do it now and get lots of flowers this year? Its
about 4 years old. Diana

Mrs Chomondely should be full of buds right now and should NOT be cut back
hard during winter What ever the book says!
You can tidy the ends of the shoots back to the first flower buds in winter,
and you can cut quite hard after she flowers the first time around June.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk