Old 26-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Dave Henson

Default Planting under an apple tree

Hi

I have a medium sized Bramley apple tree at the end of my garden and I'd
like to plant underneath and around it. I have a few questions:

Is the tree likely to hinder the growth of the plants?
Are there certain plants that would be better suited to this situation?
Would the soil need to be treated in any particular way?

Thanks for your help,
Dave Henson.

Old 26-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Dave Henson"
wrote:

Hi

I have a medium sized Bramley apple tree at the end of my garden and I'd
like to plant underneath and around it. I have a few questions:

Is the tree likely to hinder the growth of the plants?
Are there certain plants that would be better suited to this situation?
Would the soil need to be treated in any particular way?

I have a mature Bramley, with it's base in a shaded spot, and judging
from the weeds ( and an Elder tree ) growing there I'd say that
chances are good that things will grow - though if the base is exposed
you may need to consider watering regularly.
I wondered whether the tree would suck all the nutrients and water out
of the soil - but I'd imagine the roots feed somewhat further out.

I tried growing a Clematis Montana Elizabeth up it, but it failed -
though probably due to being boffed with a football in its first year.
Got a nice selection of bulbs growing there too...daffs, bluebells
etc, and what appears to be a climbing St.John's Wort ( don't know
where it came from ).

I chuck a handful of fertilizer round the base in the spring, just to
pep things up a bit.

Apple drop will demolish any fragile plants later in the year, so bear
that in mind when selecting.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 26-03-2003, 01:20 PM
jane

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:54:13 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

~On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Dave Henson"
wrote:
~
~Hi
~
[...]

snap!
I too have a large mature Bramley, surrounded by fruit bushes (at the edge
of the branch range) and it is currently a picture with tulips, daffodils
and croci underneath. I treat the soil as per fruit, ie it just had a load
of sulphate of potash scattered about in the last few days. It is in a very
open position at the allotment, so does get sun.
~
~Apple drop will demolish any fragile plants later in the year, so bear
~that in mind when selecting.

This is why I have soft fruit (blackcurrants, mostly) and bulbs - they are
out of the way by late summer and don't lose their own fruit or flowers.

And Bramleys do have rather large apples!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!