Old 26-03-2003, 11:20 PM
shannie

Default Slug pellets and chickens???

Im not an advocate of using chemicals, however, I am always over-run with
slugs. We do have lots of birds at our feeders and in our ditches, but
hoping they will come down to ground level is risky because of the cats
and we are nowhere near water and with one thing and another a pond is out
of the question at the moment. I also have a water well sunk very close to
my new veggie plot, which is covered in by cement blocks and rocks, an ideal
shady spot for all the slugs and snails . If I use slug pelletts will they
poison my chickens if they wander into the veg garden? It is penned off but
one can never be too careful.

TIA

--

Shan (Ireland)

Old 27-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Cerumen

"shannie" wrote in message
If I use slug pelletts will they
poison my chickens if they wander into the veg garden?

Yes, they will poison anything that eats them.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 27-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Martin Brown

Cerumen wrote:

"shannie" wrote in message
If I use slug pelletts will they
poison my chickens if they wander into the veg garden?

Yes, they will poison anything that eats them.

However, they are usually coloured blue to make it less likely that
birds will eat them.
My hens never even look at slug pellets. YMMV

I don't use much anyway - only round plants that would otherwise
disappear.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 28-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Live2Bhappi

How do you feel about drunk chickens? Pour beer into a clean tuna fish size
can. The beer will drunken the slugs so badly that they drown in the beer.
Old 28-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Cerumen

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Cerumen wrote:

"shannie" wrote in message
If I use slug pelletts will they
poison my chickens if they wander into the veg garden?

Yes, they will poison anything that eats them.

However, they are usually coloured blue to make it less likely that
birds will eat them.

At the risk of being called pedantic I only said they would kill anything
that ate them and didn't comment on the possibility or otherwise of
anything other than slugs/snails so doing. Personally I don't use slug
pellets but if I did I would do as I do with rat bait (also blue grains)
and lay it in such a way that hens could not get to it. For slug pellets I
would lay them under an old roof tile or slate, for rat bait in the middle
of an length of drain pipe laid along the edge of a wall or wherever the
rats are seen.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 28-03-2003, 10:44 PM
shannie

Thanks Chris,
I bought some pelletts yesterday morning that are purported to be safe
around pets, chickens etc, but after my exp with the cats I didn't want to
use them, however as it happens I do have some slate lying around, so if the
need arises I shall put some pelletts under the slate, perhaps raised a
little on a small stonefor access and see how that goes, I imagine the
snails would love it if its nice warm and dark with a feast inside,I hope
not to have to use them, Im going to try the beer and see how that goes

Old 28-03-2003, 11:44 PM
shannie

George, that is just unkind, unhelpful and hurtful.

Old 28-03-2003, 11:56 PM
shannie

No I don't complain about poisons, I complain about the irresponsible use of
poisons. I neither like nor want to use chemicals or poisons, but as a last
resort I will and I will do it in a responsible fashion with the view to
causing the least amount of damage to either wild or domestic life.You and I
will probably never agree on this subject, I am a reasonable woman and you
are entitled to your opinion, I would not dream of trying to change that,
life would be very boring if we were all the same. I am more than willing to
listen to your argument and debate/discuss any topic you wish providing you
do it in a polite and reasonable manner.

Shan

Old 29-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

(snip) that is just unkind, unhelpful and hurtful.

Reposting the entirety of the troll's message just gives it even more
publicity; you are both doing his dirty work for him and adding to the
garbage for the rest of us who don't open his posts.

Learn to edit your posts properly.

Janet.
Old 29-03-2003, 02:32 AM
shannie

I do apologise Janet and to anyone else I may have offended.Being very new
to this Im still trying to find my way around. I do appreciate your advise
and shall try to edit better in the future
Shan

Old 29-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Derek Turner

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:16:08 -0000, "shannie"
wrote:

I do apologise Janet and to anyone else I may have offended.Being very new
to this Im still trying to find my way around. I do appreciate your advise
and shall try to edit better in the future
Shan

and while you're at it, learn to post at the BOTTOM of the message to
which you're replying.
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.
Old 30-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Martin Brown

shannie wrote:

Thanks Chris,
I bought some pelletts yesterday morning that are purported to be safe
around pets, chickens etc, but after my exp with the cats I didn't want to
use them, however as it happens I do have some slate lying around, so if the
need arises I shall put some pelletts under the slate, perhaps raised a
little on a small stonefor access and see how that goes, I imagine the
snails would love it if its nice warm and dark with a feast inside,I hope
not to have to use them, Im going to try the beer and see how that goes

Beer works but is messy, so do hob nail boots after dark. There are slug
pellets
with a specific molluscide which are far less toxic to mammals and birds
than
they are to slugs and snails, but even so they are still best off
covered. The
most common sort will poison anything that eats them.

The other way safe for your chickens is to use the gruesome but natural
parasitic nematode method of control. That is incredibly specific and
lethal
only to the target species.

"Cerumen" wrote in message

At the risk of being called pedantic I only said they would kill anything
that ate them and didn't comment on the possibility or otherwise of
anything other than slugs/snails so doing. Personally I don't use slug
pellets but if I did I would do as I do with rat bait (also blue grains)
and lay it in such a way that hens could not get to it.

I largely agree - and the cover tends to attract them to the bait.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

(snip) that is just unkind, unhelpful and hurtful.

Reposting the entirety of the troll's message just gives it even more
publicity; you are both doing his dirty work for him and adding to the
garbage for the rest of us who don't open his posts.

Learn to edit your posts properly.

Better still, do not rise to the bait, it only encourages them.

Alan

Janet.

Organic slug pellets 'Mike' Gardening 11 14-05-2008 06:35 AM
Organic slug pellets Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 19 14-05-2008 06:35 AM
Slug pellets Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 2 13-05-2008 06:16 PM
using slug pellets on veg patch? Paul United Kingdom 9 04-05-2006 11:29 PM
slug pellets? Nicholas United Kingdom 14 28-03-2003 12:56 AM