Old 26-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Douglas Hageman

Default Atco Rear Roller Rotary Mower

Thank you for your previous replies & emails.

Before I buy the Atco Viscount, (I plan on it Thursday as it'll take
at least a week to get to the states.) I was wondering if anyone could
tell me how those rear rollers are going to fare on lumpier
no-where-nearly-as-nice-as-your lawns.

Plus we have a grade - will the rollers do the job pushing the mower
up the grade?

I can't understand why, what appears to be quite the spiffy mower
isn't sold here.

Thank you in advance;

-Doug Hageman
Southington, CT USA
http://marionautosales.com
Old 26-03-2003, 11:24 PM
david

In my time working for Parks department we used to cut across the slope when
ever possible.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Iain Miller

"Douglas Hageman" wrote in message
om...
Thank you for your previous replies & emails.

Before I buy the Atco Viscount, (I plan on it Thursday as it'll take
at least a week to get to the states.) I was wondering if anyone could
tell me how those rear rollers are going to fare on lumpier
no-where-nearly-as-nice-as-your lawns.

Plus we have a grade - will the rollers do the job pushing the mower
up the grade?

Depends on the grade! How steep is it?

Also I was told (admittedly some years ago) that grades can be serious life
shorteners for 4 stroke mowers - most of them work on the basis of splash
up lubrication.....stick it on a serious grade for long periods of time &
the oil all collects at one end of the sump & the things don't work quite as
they should in the lubrication department! This may be why another poster
has suggested always working across the grade.

This is also not a "feature" of Atco mowers - it would apply to just about
any 4 stroke machine with the std Briggs/Handa/Tecumseh engine on it I think
although I may stand corrected on that!

I.

Old 27-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Douglas Hageman

"Iain Miller" wrote in message ...

Depends on the grade! How steep is it?

Thanks - the grades not "that" steep; just worried that a roller
wouldn't have the diameter or traction of a tire (tyre?).

I chatted with the folks in Norwich (Mower Direct) and the rollers (I
had no idea how big around they were) are about 4" and thus the small
grade in front shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, please allow this American to thank you and your
countrymen for the loyalty you've shown to both us, and our President.

One of the primary reasons we decided on the Atco instead of the John
Deere JX-75 was my wife and I can't imagine a better time for
Americans to buy British and support our allies.

-DCH