Old 27-03-2003, 04:22 AM
janet.bennett

Default Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow)

Last year I purchased a type of small weeping pussy willow tree from
Morrisons, but unfortunately the specimen I purchased wasn't brilliant. I
thought perhaps it would send out new growth this year, but sadly hasn't
done so. Any advice please : I know the tree will not grow any taller, but
will the cascading part of the plant fill out? Is this the type of plant
that suitable for pruning, and if so, when? How far do I prune back etc.
Will pruning encourage new shoots etc. and will they cascade down? Very
much in the dark about this, please can someone help me. Thanks

Old 29-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:16:24 +0000, in uk.rec.gardening you wrote:

In article , janet.bennett
writes
Last year I purchased a type of small weeping pussy willow tree from
Morrisons, but unfortunately the specimen I purchased wasn't brilliant. I
thought perhaps it would send out new growth this year, but sadly hasn't
done so. Any advice please : I know the tree will not grow any taller, but
will the cascading part of the plant fill out? Is this the type of plant
that suitable for pruning, and if so, when? How far do I prune back etc.
Will pruning encourage new shoots etc. and will they cascade down?

Well, mine hasn't!
But at least it has pussies on it this year.

Very
much in the dark about this, please can someone help me. Thanks

Well, the weeping willow tree is Salix babylonica (syn. S. pendula).

I see in the RHS pruning book that, in the list of tree forms, it
states, in the "weeping standard" section, that S. caprea is one of
the trees ideal for this form.

What did the label say? Anyway, unless you were intending to
purchase a tree which will end up really huge, if the label says
caprea then I suppose you should be grateful.

What it says in the short bit about weeping standards:

Almost always produced by top working, that is, grafting several
buds at the top of a clear stem. A highly unnatural form needing
maintenance pruning throughout its life. A few, naturally occurring
weeping trees, can be trained in this way.

Later in the book it goes on the explain how to train a weeping
standards and naturally weeping standards (if you do indeed have S.
pendula and if the intended situation is not one which lends itself to
leaving in that place something which posterity will enjoy as a huge
tree, maybe this last section could be of interest in providing
methods of taming. There's an element of topiary in a lot of pruning.

Umm .. is it in your library?

I have a weeping crab apple I purchases from Crocus. It was called a
"Weeping crab 'Malus Red Jade'".

I think these days I prefer to grow plants which have two Latin
names, so I am wondering about it - I know the crab apple is M.
sylvestris but I notice Crocus call all sorts of things "crab apples":
Malus x zumi var. *
'Malus x robusta
and the Japanese Crab Apple
'Malus floribunda'

Whichever nursery did the grafting seems to have done it quite well
- too well really and my challenge now is to get another shoot with
apical dominance growing upwards again. I would like it weeping at a
higher elevation you see. It is just budding out now and I am very
pleased with its appearance so far.

If it produces palatable fruit as well, that will be a big bonus.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

Weeping Pussy Willow Tree Jo Pesta Gardening 7 20-07-2008 05:55 PM
Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" Alan Harrison United Kingdom 7 01-02-2007 11:31 AM
Salix Caprea 'Kilmarnock' tom&barbara United Kingdom 7 30-04-2006 03:24 AM
weeping pussy willow Yngver Gardening 12 27-02-2004 09:46 PM
Salix Caprea Kilmarnock Jack United Kingdom 5 02-03-2003 07:40 PM