Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Charlie

Default Newspaper seed tubes?

Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links or
instructions possible if I did?

Thanks loads!

Charlie.

--
www.lowfidelity.org.uk
RCTQ Double Princess of Britain

---

Old 27-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Derek Dear

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:28:20 -0000, "Charlie"
wrote:

Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links or
instructions possible if I did?

Its a way of getting deep thin pots suitable for long sweet pea roots

just roll em, and fill um! g
(don't forget to fold over the bottom)

Plant out newspaper and all, then no disturbance to the roots

Old 27-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Jill

"Charlie" wrote in message
Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links or
instructions possible if I did?

cut newspaper into squares
roll around broom handle or some such diameter - loosely
sellotape
you are done :~))
obviously you can make them any length or width you like

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Thanks loads!

Charlie.

Old 27-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Gary Woods

"Charlie" wrote:

Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost?

I don't have links, but basically you roll newspaper strips around a round
form and tuck the ends in the bottom. I've seen a wooden tool for sale to
do this, but people use any small tin or bottle of appropriate size.
It's the same thing as a compressed peat pot*, but cheaper. You need to set
them in a tray that provides some support, because the "pots" will
eventually break down, as they should.
For what it's worth, newspaper printers no longer use toxic ink, so the
papers are just fine for mulching. I use several layers topped with grass
clippings, old leaves, old hay, anything to conceal and keep them from
blowing away. Some would say that this is the best use for many
newspapers.
Some of us are keen on cheap.

*I hope that's what they're called; my English-American dictionary is short
on gardening terms.

Cheers!

Old 27-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

wrote:

Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links or
instructions possible if I did?

Its a way of getting deep thin pots suitable for long sweet pea roots

I use loo rolls for this. I cover them with cellophane on the top to
retain moisture and avoid watering in 5-minute intervals :-) I poke
small holes on the cellophane to allow some air. I ignore the mouldy
growth on the outside. I place them on a tray (used to contain wrapped
chocolates for about, errr 30 seconds).

Kostas

Old 27-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Charlie

Would masking tape degrade with the pots? Obviously sellotape wouldn't, but
I'm just thinking of someway to keep them secure. I guess you could do it
just by folding over, but I was worried that would come undone!

Charlie.

Old 27-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Natalie

"Charlie" wrote in message
Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links or
instructions possible if I did?

Thanks loads!

Charlie.

Here is a link which shows you exactly how to make them with children - so
they must be easy ;-)

http://www.global-garden.com.au/back...kids_make1.htm

I have also seen somewhere suggesting you staple the bottoms.

Natalie

Old 27-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Charlie
writes
Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links or
instructions possible if I did?

Yes, somebody gave us a rather nice hardwood gadget for that purpose as
a Golden Wedding present. It is not unlike a pestle and mortar. You wind
a strip of newspaper round the shaft with an overlap, press it into the
bowl and rotate it a bit - pull it out and there's a seed pot. I thought
that the module would need fixing at the top with sellotape, especially
when it was filled with soil and became wet, but it hangs together
surprisingly well. We germinate small to medium sized seeds in them sown
singly - the pot would not be big enough for e.g. beans etc.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Charlie
writes
Would masking tape degrade with the pots? Obviously sellotape wouldn't, but
I'm just thinking of someway to keep them secure. I guess you could do it
just by folding over, but I was worried that would come undone!

What about micropore? Would that degrade quickly?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 27-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Charlie" contains these words:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message

You need to set
them in a tray that provides some support, because the "pots" will
eventually break down, as they should.

Would masking tape degrade with the pots? Obviously sellotape wouldn't, but
I'm just thinking of someway to keep them secure. I guess you could do it
just by folding over, but I was worried that would come undone!

Place the tubes close together in a deep plastic icecream carton which
supports them almost to the top. Then you don't need to tape them at
all, and the newspaper (and compost) remain damp. Take care when you
unpack them to plant out, so that the newspaper holds together just long
enough to get it into the hole.

Janet.

Old 28-03-2003, 06:44 AM
JennyC

"Charlie" wrote in message
Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost? Can someone help me out with links

or
instructions possible if I did?

Thanks loads!
Charlie.

Plans and instructions for folding at ;
http://homepages.which.net/~jandorr/potinstructions.htm

Jenny :~)

Old 28-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Rudy

Use chicken wire over your container and place the newspaper tubes in
the holes...
--
CathyLee
They neigh I pay

Old 28-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Edwin Spector

Natalie wrote:

Here is a link which shows you exactly how to make them with children - so
they must be easy ;-)
I have also seen somewhere suggesting you staple the bottoms.

I didn't think you could do that to children.
Old 28-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Alan Holmes

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Charlie" wrote:

Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost?

I don't have links, but basically you roll newspaper strips around a round
form and tuck the ends in the bottom. I've seen a wooden tool for sale to
do this, but people use any small tin or bottle of appropriate size.
It's the same thing as a compressed peat pot*, but cheaper. You need to

set
them in a tray that provides some support, because the "pots" will
eventually break down, as they should.

You can always use flour paste to stick them together, the flour will rot
together with the paper after it's been planted,

Alan

Old 29-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Charlie

What I did, was put a little sellotape right at the top, on the ring of
paper that I'll be cutting off. They're looking quite happy even thought
they're wet! I'm a bit worried that they'll dry out quickly as they're
going in the airing cupboard to germinate later. I'll just have to be
always ready with the jug of water I suppose!

Charlie.