Old 27-03-2003, 08:44 PM
shannie

Default laying poison.

Could I please ask anybody who reads this group and lays poison in their
fields to kill whatever vermin they use it for be it fox's, rats whatever to
please please please do it with the utmost care. I am against using poisons
on farmlands but nonetheless understand why people do it.Generally bait is
laid inside piping so that bigger animals cannott get at it, but some people
are lazy and don't bother. I lost one of my cats today due to poison he
ingested and one of the others is in the vets all day hanging in there. I
know there are two types of people, those who like and those who dislike
cats and it's most likely that my cats were not targeted specifically as we
live in an area surrounded by fields. But when you see a seven year old boy
crying over his dead cat you have to put an appeal somewhere for people to
be more careful when baiting traps.

Many thanks

Shan (Ireland)

Old 27-03-2003, 08:56 PM
shannie

Make that two dead cats ( Our queen (who was expecting kittens) has died
at the vets. Please don't lay poison's irresponsibly!

Old 27-03-2003, 09:44 PM

"shannie" wrote in message
: Make that two dead cats ( Our queen (who was expecting kittens) has
died
: at the vets. Please don't lay poison's irresponsibly!
: "shannie" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
:
: Many thanks
:
: Shan (Ireland)
:
I'm so, so sorry to hear your sad news. Losing a pet is always terribly
sad, but to lose two in such a horrible way must be heartbreaking and I feel
so sad for your little boy.

Old 28-03-2003, 09:44 AM
pied piper

sorry to hear of your loss some people are just so ignorant and dont give a
rats arse about anyone or anyting have u anyway of finding out who was
responsible

Old 28-03-2003, 09:20 PM
shannie

"pied piper" wrote in message
sorry to hear of your loss some people are just so ignorant and dont give

rats arse about anyone or anyting have u anyway of finding out who was
responsible

No way of knowing at all. We live in a very isolated area, no other houses
for a couple of miles and surrounded by farmland. We have a theory that
some farmers have been baiting meat with rat poison to kill fox's and
badgers that my be killing lambs. We initially thought that it would be
because they (the cats) had eaten infected vermin themselves, but having
spoken to the vet it appears that farmers don't put down poison to kill rats
as they live in the ditches and pose no threat to livestock, although they
don't admit to baiting meat either, Im not sure but I've a feeling it's not
quite legal. To make our theory more viable the queen was expecting kittens
and was very close to her time so she was not in "hunting mode" and the tom
was one of those big lazy one's who's only pleasure in life was being
groomed by the other females. I've never seen him with a kill, so the
'eating a poisoned mouse or rat' theory goes out the window. We have another
sick cat today so it only strengthens our idea that they are eating baited
meat from one of the nearby fields. The irony of it is we never feed our
cats meat, just dry food, so they obviously find this stuff and think it's a
wonderful treat

Old 28-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Rod

"shannie" wrote in message ...

"pied piper" wrote in message
[...]

You need to find out what they are using - very probably something worse than normal rat poisons. If you're in the North
it's almost certainly illegal, in the Republic I wouldn't know. Problem is you have to catch the b******s red handed to
have any chance of making charges stick.

Rod

Old 28-03-2003, 10:32 PM
shannie

The Vet's 99.99% sure it's warferin Rod, the pregnant queen bled horribly
internally, as he put it "she had no juice in her tank" and yet she managed
to hold on for almost 12 hours. Im in the south and the gardaí weren't able
to tell me if it was legal or not, they say strichnine is illegal, but as
it's banned it's rarely used. Warferin is a very easy poison to get hold of,
I can go into any hardware, chemist or creamery and buy it by the bucket
load, its the method of use thats the problem. The gardaí simply don't know.
Shan (Ireland)

Old 29-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , shannie
writes
But when you see a seven year old boy
crying over his dead cat you have to put an appeal somewhere for people to
be more careful when baiting traps.

Yes, it must be heartbreaking . . . as heartbreaking as seeing anyone
weeping over the poor mutilated body of a bird needlessly mauled, but
not eaten, by someone's cat.

Shannie, firstly, let me say that I am very sorry to hear about your
cats . . . but . . . do cat owners ever consider the effect their cats
may have on other people's lives? People who do not like cats, people
whose pets (even their own cats) are plagued by other people's cats,
people who are allergic to cats, people whose plants, after months of
TLC are continually dug up to be replaced by cat faeces etc etc.

Do they ever consider that their cats may have been wreaking havoc in
someone else's patch and that person is at the end of his/her tether. I
don't say poison is justified, but, when driven to desperation, people
do all sorts of out of character things.

I know my mother was driven to distraction by a neighbour's cat that
kept coming into her house and attacking her own cat. My mother didn't
poison the intruder but she made such strong complaints to the owner
that it eventually had to be put down: there was just no other solution.

Ten years ago I would have been horrified at the thought of shooting a
rabbit, but after observing the destruction caused by a rabbit take over
of the garden, I now, sadly, have no compunction in shooting them.

To all cat lovers/owners, please, please, be aware that there are always
two sides to every story.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 AM
pied piper

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , shannie
writes

****ing idiot if i had a neighbour like you i would shit on your doorstep

Old 30-03-2003, 12:20 PM

[...]
: --
: Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
: I won't respond to private emails that are on topic for urg
: but if you need to email me for any other reason,
: put jandg dot demon dot co dot uk where you see deadspam.com

I don't feel that this is the time to start lecturing Shannie. Losing
pets - especially in this way - can be quite a traumatic experience,
especially for a 7 year old. Surely it would be kinder to be a trifle more
diplomatic on this occasion.

Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Mike

In article , K
writes

[...]

I go along with Jane.

Point out a diplomatic statement from a cat lover. They are all one
sided, just as the original poster pointed out. 'WE' must be careful of
where 'WE' place poison on OUR land because of 'THEIR' bloody cats which
are allowed to come onto OUR land!!

I am laying a new patio and left some area nicely raked last night,
ready for rubble today. My grandson Lewis is with us today and wants to
help Granddad break some rubble up. What do I see in the nice smooth
raked surface? Cat paw marks. What do I have to do 'in my own garden'?
Check to see if the damn thing has crapped before I let Lewis help me.

And did the cats do anything about the rats I found in the compost bin?
Of course not.

I just wish more people would lay poison.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Michael Berridge

Gorgeous George wrote in message ...

Do you have any "reserves" nearby? the RSPB, Woodlandt Trust and other
CONservation hooligan charities are great users of warfarin.

I trust that none of the officials of these organisations are reading
this NG as they will be somewhat upset by those comments to put it
mildly. The conservation groups do use poisons to some extent, to rid
themselves of pests affecting the thing they are trying to conserve, but
they always do it in a very safe way, and are always careful that it
will not affect other animals. Warfarin is normally only used against
rats, as it is easy to doctor corn with warfarin, so the RSPB would be
very wary of using it as corn is a staple diet of many birds, They would
have to ensure that it was well hidden in places inaccessible to other
animals, also warfarin poisoned rats and mice could easily be taken by
owls and other birds of prey.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 01-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Malcolm

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:04:50 +0100, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

Gorgeous George wrote in message ...

Do you have any "reserves" nearby? the RSPB, Woodlandt Trust and other
CONservation hooligan charities are great users of warfarin.

I trust that none of the officials of these organisations are reading
this NG as they will be somewhat upset by those comments to put it
mildly.

Oh they do read them, and they also have insiders who report back to
them, in fact one of the most notorious would be Malcolm Ogilvie,
troll and criminal.

The conservation groups do use poisons to some extent,

Which is obviously why it was stated.

to rid
themselves of pests affecting the thing they are trying to conserve,

No, they use it in completely unnecessary manner, usually to try and
instill some nazi style genetic purity measures within CONservation
hooliganism.

but
they always do it in a very safe way,

Not if you are a rat, squirrel, bird of prey, fox, magpie etc.

and are always careful that it
will not affect other animals.

Rubbish

Warfarin is normally only used against
rats,

But other animals will also take it or the carcass.

as it is easy to doctor corn with warfarin, so the RSPB would be
very wary of using it as corn is a staple diet of many birds,

No, they just put big lumps of it down.

They would
have to ensure that it was well hidden in places inaccessible to other
animals, also warfarin poisoned rats and mice could easily be taken by
owls and other birds of prey.

Which is exactly what happens with indiscriminate usage of chemicals.
This is why the RSPB and other refuse to discuss this with anyone.
They have lots to hide.

Not to mention the horrendous suffering to the victims of warfarin.

Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
Poison Oak? Wayne Dyer Texas 15 29-05-2003 10:08 PM
Rat poison, was Mulch against home? SugarChile Gardening 9 19-05-2003 12:20 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners jane taylor United Kingdom 7 01-04-2003 11:08 PM