GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Million Bells (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/11949-million-bells.html)

Robert 27-03-2003 11:32 PM

Million Bells

We have a couple of 16" hanging baskets which we cram full with one type
and colour of cascading plant each year. The most spectacular was white
surfinias but when the contents of each basket grew to nearly 3' in
diameter dead-heading became a pain. Last year we tried bacopa
snowflake which were much less time consuming to maintain but the
flowers were rather small (giant snowflake still does not appear to be
available in this country). This year we were thinking of trying
million bells, which appear to be a compromise between surfinias and
bacopa. Does anyone have experience of using it in this fashion - if so
are there any particular points to look out for?
--
Robert

Rodger Whitlock 28-03-2003 05:32 AM

Million Bells

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:02:51 +0000, Robert wrote:

We have a couple of 16" hanging baskets which we cram full with one type
and colour of cascading plant each year. The most spectacular was white
surfinias but when the contents of each basket grew to nearly 3' in
diameter dead-heading became a pain. Last year we tried bacopa
snowflake which were much less time consuming to maintain but the
flowers were rather small (giant snowflake still does not appear to be
available in this country). This year we were thinking of trying
million bells, which appear to be a compromise between surfinias and
bacopa. Does anyone have experience of using it in this fashion - if so
are there any particular points to look out for?

Dead easy, and a very wide colour range. I found a good white and
an excellent dark red, but there's callibrachoas in just about
every colour of the rainbow except true blue and true yellow --
and I'm sure the breeders are working on those too.

Be sure to shop around. I find that no one garden center has
*every* colour form.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada