Old 29-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Richard G Seddon

Default Public Space - Meadow - Nature reserve - Help - Free seeds

Could anyone please let me know if they know of any charities that are
around that would provide seeds to develop some meadow land that is near my
home. It is already the haven of much wildlife but doesn't look to pretty at
the moment. I would like to be able to sow some poppy seeds and cornflowers
and some butterfly attracting flowers. I saw a gardening program where a
lady had undertaken a similar project and the results were amazing.
Unfortunately I don't have much money and cannot afford the seeds. Plus in
the quantities that are needed ...... I cant even source large quantities.

Failing no contacts, please feel free to send any to me to help get our
British Countryside looking even more beautiful. If you are interested in
helping, please contact me.

Thank you

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Richard G
Seddon writes
Could anyone please let me know if they know of any charities that are
around that would provide seeds to develop some meadow land that is near my
home. It is already the haven of much wildlife but doesn't look to pretty at
the moment. I would like to be able to sow some poppy seeds and cornflowers
and some butterfly attracting flowers. I saw a gardening program where a
lady had undertaken a similar project and the results were amazing.
Unfortunately I don't have much money and cannot afford the seeds. Plus in
the quantities that are needed ...... I cant even source large quantities.

Most important thing is to reduce the nutrient level of your meadow. Mow
it a couple of times a year and take all the mowings away - do this for
several years, and the native species will be able to compete - seeds
being blown in or dormant in the soil will start to provide flowers.

Poppy and Cornflower are wheat field plants - they're annuals, and
thrive where you are re-sowing completely every year.

Try instead things like campion, scabious, vetch, birds foot trefoil.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:38:29 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

Most important thing is to reduce the nutrient level of your meadow. Mow
it a couple of times a year and take all the mowings away - do this for
several years, and the native species will be able to compete - seeds
being blown in or dormant in the soil will start to provide flowers.

Might also be worth checking with the land owner if it's not you, they
may have a particular management scheme in mind that would dictate
what could be grown.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Richard G Seddon" contains these words:

Could anyone please let me know if they know of any charities that are
around that would provide seeds to develop some meadow land that is near my
home. It is already the haven of much wildlife but doesn't look to pretty at
the moment. I would like to be able to sow some poppy seeds and cornflowers
and some butterfly attracting flowers. I saw a gardening program where a
lady had undertaken a similar project and the results were amazing.
Unfortunately I don't have much money and cannot afford the seeds. Plus in
the quantities that are needed ...... I cant even source large quantities.

Failing no contacts, please feel free to send any to me to help get our
British Countryside looking even more beautiful.

It's normal for meadows not to look pretty at this time of year.

Poppies and cornflowers germinate only on freshly cultivated soil;
they can't be grown by scattering the seed onto an established meadow.

Do some research about wildflowers and their habitats, and also ask
the owner of the meadow how they feel about you doing anything on
it.Since it's already a haven for wildlife, it may already be being
managed very carefully.

Your local council will keep a list of nature-conservation groups in
your area where you can learn more about it.

Janet.