Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Pete The Gardener

Default Composting

Has anyone tried the products from: http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/# One
of the people on the estate was talking about them the other day, but
hadn't had a chance to give it a proper try. If it works then I might
give it a go, but I don't want to waste the cash and time if it's a
load of rubbish.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
bnd777

I suggest you stick to good old fashioned Compost with liberall dashings of
Sulphate of ammonia and urine thrown in plus a shoveful of worms later

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:34:33 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message
Has anyone tried the products from: http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/# One
of the people on the estate was talking about them the other day, but
hadn't had a chance to give it a proper try. If it works then I might
give it a go, but I don't want to waste the cash and time if it's a
load of rubbish.

I suggest you stick to good old fashioned Compost with liberall dashings of
Sulphate of ammonia and urine thrown in plus a shoveful of worms later

Top Posting re-arranged for ease of reading.

I'm not at all sure I fancy a standard compost heap (particularly
using urine) in my kitchen;-) This thing is for composting kitchen
waste, even bones apparently.

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Victor West

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:34:33 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

snip
Top Posting re-arranged for ease of reading.

Illogical moan on.........
Now I know that bottom posting is more correct and usually easier to follow
but one thing that annoys me slightly is when I find someone rearranging
someone else's post. Top posting may be technically incorrect but we
wouldn't all go and amend the grammar or spelling of other posts, would we?
......Illogical moan off

Victor

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
bnd777

Actually I find bottom posting blasted annoying
If you bother to follow a thread you simply read the follow up instead of
rereading all the garbage

If Pete had said he wanted a composter in his kitchen the answer might be
different however beats me what "bug" would also decompose bones

"Victor West" wrote in message

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:34:33 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"

snip

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

Top Posting re-arranged for ease of reading.

Illogical moan on.........
Now I know that bottom posting is more correct and usually easier to follow
but one thing that annoys me slightly is when I find someone rearranging
someone else's post. Top posting may be technically incorrect but we
wouldn't all go and amend the grammar or spelling of other posts, would we?
.....Illogical moan off

Have you ever tried to read a posting with a history of 10-20 long,
with a mixture of top and bottom posting? I can assure you that the
only practical solution is to rearrange it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:20:56 -0000, "Victor West"
wrote:

Illogical moan on.........
Now I know that bottom posting is more correct and usually easier to follow
but one thing that annoys me slightly is when I find someone rearranging
someone else's post. Top posting may be technically incorrect but we
wouldn't all go and amend the grammar or spelling of other posts, would we?
.....Illogical moan off

Since I was quoting my own post as well as the one I was responding to
it would have been rather dificult to follow without the
re-arrangement.
I don't do spelling and grammar since I'm dyslexic and have enough
problems with my own without trying to sort out anyone else's.

Old 30-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Victor West" contains these words:

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:34:33 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

snip
Top Posting re-arranged for ease of reading.

Illogical moan on.........
Now I know that bottom posting is more correct and usually easier
to follow but one thing that annoys me slightly is when I find
someone rearranging someone else's post. Top posting may be
technically incorrect but we wouldn't all go and amend the grammar
or spelling of other posts, would we?
.....Illogical moan off

I would. I even sort out line wraps.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Sarah Dale

Hi Pete,

I can't find this web site at all! However, if you have some further info
I would be interested. It always annoys me to have to put waste meat
scraps and bones in the bin when they are highly bidegradable. (Although
not suitable for a home garden compost heap).

Sarah

Old 30-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Rog

A layer of vegetation etc, a layer of soil, a sprinkling of lime, then
repeat the process.
No smell, excellent compost.
No top post, no bottom post , just plain post :0)
--
Rog
http://www.geocities.com/rogerscyberhome

Old 30-03-2003, 11:56 PM
bnd777

Bones and scaps etc are fine in a worm bin though ......although the bones
dont disintegrate they are just picked clean

news

Old 31-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Sarah Dale" writes:

| I can't find this web site at all! However, if you have some further info
| I would be interested. It always annoys me to have to put waste meat
| scraps and bones in the bin when they are highly bidegradable. (Although
| not suitable for a home garden compost heap).

Why not? I have composted them for 25 years with no problems.
Others have done so for longer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Paul Kelly

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Sarah Dale" writes:

| I can't find this web site at all! However, if you have some further

info
| I would be interested. It always annoys me to have to put waste meat
| scraps and bones in the bin when they are highly bidegradable.

(Although
| not suitable for a home garden compost heap).

Why not? I have composted them for 25 years with no problems.
Others have done so for longer.

Do you live in town or country?

In town putting meat on the compost bin is an open invitation to foxes and
rats.

pk

Old 31-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Paul Kelly" writes:

| Do you live in town or country?
|
| In town putting meat on the compost bin is an open invitation
| to foxes and rats.

Suburbs. There are both in the vicinity, and I believe that both
visit the garden regularly. It is an old wife's tale that putting
meat scraps or bones on the compost heap attracts rats (or even
foxes) any more than anything else does. I don't know whether
putting whole joints on would, as it is not something that we do!

Note that there is a similar old wife's tale that is more common
in the USA but still appears here, where it is putting cooked food
on the heap that attracts rats. I have even heard the variant that
it is putting uncooked vegetables that does, so now we have covered
all bases :-)

Unless you run a VERY wasteful kitchen, then just heaving all
kitchen waste on the heap is usually fine. I can believe that
the occasional rat or fox will be attracted by certain foods, and
obviously meat scraps are one of the more likely, but it is rare.
This is not just my experience, either, but has been told to me
by several rat-catchers (sorry, pest control operatives).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Victoria Clare

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:b68v6p$qh4$1
@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk:

In article ,
"Paul Kelly" writes:

| Do you live in town or country?
|
| In town putting meat on the compost bin is an open invitation
| to foxes and rats.

Suburbs. There are both in the vicinity, and I believe that both
visit the garden regularly. It is an old wife's tale that putting
meat scraps or bones on the compost heap attracts rats (or even
foxes) any more than anything else does. I don't know whether
putting whole joints on would, as it is not something that we do!

To support this, one of my cats caught a rabbit (not one of mine!) the
week before last.

I slung it on the compost heap. I had a prod through this week and it's
still there, quite untouched (even by flies yet: must be too early in
the year).

Another example: there was a time when we used to buy big bones for our
dogs. Dogs aren't very organised, so they tended to leave the chewed
remnants in distant beds and under hedges. Never caused a rat problem
(I don't think the rats were scared for the dogs: the dogs were
wusses!).

The one thing I have found attracts rats is fresh grains in rabbit or
guinea-pig food. They really like that, and will hang around to get it.

I keep food for my bunnies inside the house in a sealed box, and if the
bunnies don't clean out their bowl I feed 'em less till they do: this
seems to help and is also better for the bunnies (they don't believe
this though!).

Victoria

(Yes, I know I could have made a pie. It was a busy week and I find
preparing rabbit from scratch very tedious. Skinning takes forever and
all those little bones!)