Old 11-02-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle-C

Default Prevention of "rust" and "black spot" in rose bushes ?

Hi folks, an old chesnut no doubt, but i suffered terribly from "black
spot" last year and although I got a reasonable bloom of roses the
leaves look seriously ill. This time I am going for prevention and
early supression. I've read about various antidotes but which have been
the most successful ? I thought if I tackled the problem within the
next 4-6 weeks I may not suffer from the same malaise I did last year.
I regulaly endeavoured to remove any fallen and affected leaves which
showd signs of the fungus but no doubt there are still spores on the
ground nr the base of the rose bush. I would rather avoid the use of
nasty chemicals if possible !!!!!

Thanks !!
Uncle-C

Old 11-02-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

I very interested to hear answers to this one as my roses suffer with
the same problem. I've tried the usual sprays but they don't seem much
good.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Uncle-C wrote:
Hi folks, an old chesnut no doubt, but i suffered terribly from "black
spot" last year and although I got a reasonable bloom of roses the
leaves look seriously ill. This time I am going for prevention and
early supression. I've read about various antidotes but which have
been the most successful ? I thought if I tackled the problem within
the next 4-6 weeks I may not suffer from the same malaise I did last
year. I regulaly endeavoured to remove any fallen and affected leaves
which showd signs of the fungus but no doubt there are still spores
on the ground nr the base of the rose bush. I would rather avoid the
use of nasty chemicals if possible !!!!!

water the ground with an armillatox solution - not as an antifungal, you
underatand, just using the armillatox as a soap to keep the soil clean
{sorry, in joke, feel free to ignore....} - armillatox is a mix of natrual
oils and not a nasty chemical btw!

If the top growth is dormant, you can also spray there as well.

pk

Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"p.k." wrote in message
Uncle-C wrote:
snip

.. I would rather avoid the
use of nasty chemicals if possible !!!!!

snip
- armillatox is a mix of natrual
oils and not a nasty chemical btw!

The active ingredient of Armillatox is a nasty chemical .
Not one single company chose to support tar acids (the active substance in
Armillatox) in the EC pesticide review, which IMO speaks volumes.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 11/2/06 20:55, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"p.k." wrote in message
Uncle-C wrote:
snip

. I would rather avoid the
use of nasty chemicals if possible !!!!!

snip
- armillatox is a mix of natrual
oils and not a nasty chemical btw!

The active ingredient of Armillatox is a nasty chemical .
Not one single company chose to support tar acids (the active substance in
Armillatox) in the EC pesticide review, which IMO speaks volumes.

From the RHS web site:
"RHS Journals: The Garden
May 2003

Chemicals withdrawn from sale or use from 2002 onwards (updated March 2005)

This is a list of active ingredients that are being or have been withdrawn
from sale. Note that brand names may be retained even though active
ingredients in them are changed. Please be careful to use only the current
brands.
Active ingredient
Brand name 1
Main use
Last date for use
Insecticides * * *
snip of many products

RHS Journals: The Garden
May 2003

Chemicals withdrawn from sale or use from 2002 onwards (updated March 2005)

This is a list of active ingredients that are being or have been withdrawn
from sale. Note that brand names may be retained even though active
ingredients in them are changed. Please be careful to use only the current
brands.
Active ingredient
Brand name 1
Main use
Last date for use
Insecticides *

Armillatox 2 Vine weevil eggs 31.12.03
Pirimicarb Rose Clear 2 3 Aphids only 31.12.03

Fungicides * * *
Carbendazim Doff Plant Disease Control Various diseases 30.6.03
* Spotless Various diseases 30.6.03
Triforine and bupirimate Rose Clear 2 3 Rose diseases 31.12.03
Tar oils and tar acids
Armillatox 2 Honey fungus, clubroot 31.12.03
Jeyes Fluid 2 Soil sterilisation 31.12.03
* * * *
Herbicides * * *
Atrazine Scotts Pathclear 6 Weeds 10.9.05
Doff Total Path Weedkiller 7 Weeds 10.9.05
Dichloroprop Many brands 4 Lawn weeds 31.12.03
Paraquat Scotts Weedol 8 Weeds 30.4.06
Simazine Scotts Pathclear 6 Weeds 10.9.05
Doff Total Path Weedkiller 7 Weeds 10.9.05
TBA Touchweeder 5 Lawn weeds 31.12.03
Tar oils and tar acids
Armillatox 2 Moss, lichen or liverwort 31.12.03"

etc. etc.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publi...esticides2.asp
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

* * * *

Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Uncle-C" wrote
Hi folks, an old chesnut no doubt, but i suffered terribly from "black
spot" last year and although I got a reasonable bloom of roses the
leaves look seriously ill. snip

I would rather avoid the use of nasty chemicals if possible !!!!!

I think the only sure-fire way apart from regular spraying is to stick
to growing the most resistant varieties. Rugosas for instance don't seem
to get affected. Other than that, making sure that the plants are well
fed and watered, as stressed roses are likely to be worst hit.
Christopher Lloyd once recommended mulching thickly underneath with
grass clippings to keep the spores down, but then he dug up his rose
garden so maybe it didn't work all that well after all!

--
Sue

Old 12-02-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sue wrote:
I think the only sure-fire way apart from regular spraying is to stick
to growing the most resistant varieties. Rugosas for instance don't seem
to get affected. Other than that, making sure that the plants are well
fed and watered, as stressed roses are likely to be worst hit.
Christopher Lloyd once recommended mulching thickly underneath with
grass clippings to keep the spores down, but then he dug up his rose
garden so maybe it didn't work all that well after all!

It's indeed hard to admit, but nothing last for ever, even roses. If
these roses are constantly affected, I would dig them out and start
again somewhere else. Perhaps that spot is not the best one for it.

apple rust spot glynwilks Gardening 1 31-05-2011 03:16 AM
Crabgrass Prevention and Seeding [email protected] Gardening 1 17-04-2005 01:51 AM
Preemptive Critter and Crud Prevention Matthew Donadio Orchids 12 19-05-2004 05:07 PM
Black Spot, Sulphur & 'Organic Rose' Book John T. Jarrett Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM