Old 13-02-2006, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How can i get rid of bulbs?

For the last three years I have been fighting a battle with bluebell
type plants that keep coming up in the cracks between the crazy paving
stones of a garden path. Having died down over the winter the first
ones are springing up now and I pulled out loads today. Some have quite
big bulbs but a lot are less than the size of a pea. These plants seem
immune to any kind of weed killer, 'pathclear', that I've tried. It's
an old path and a lot of the cement has crumbled away. Apart from
filling every crack with super strong cement does anybody know anyway I
can get rid of these unwanted pests on the path? Thanks

Old 13-02-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

wrote in message
oups.com...
: For the last three years I have been fighting a battle with bluebell
: type plants that keep coming up in the cracks between the crazy paving
: stones of a garden path. Having died down over the winter the first
: ones are springing up now and I pulled out loads today. Some have quite
: big bulbs but a lot are less than the size of a pea. These plants seem
: immune to any kind of weed killer, 'pathclear', that I've tried. It's
: an old path and a lot of the cement has crumbled away. Apart from
: filling every crack with super strong cement does anybody know anyway I
: can get rid of these unwanted pests on the path? Thanks

Send them to me

Old 13-02-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Robert wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
For the last three years I have been fighting a battle with bluebell
type plants that keep coming up in the cracks between the crazy
paving stones of a garden path. Having died down over the winter the
first ones are springing up now and I pulled out loads today. Some
have quite big bulbs but a lot are less than the size of a pea.
These plants seem immune to any kind of weed killer, 'pathclear',
that I've tried. It's an old path and a lot of the cement has
crumbled away. Apart from filling every crack with super strong
cement does anybody know anyway I can get rid of these unwanted
pests on the path? Thanks

Send them to me

If they're Spanish bluebells, as these infestations often are, you may
well not want them. I don't know how seriously to take those who warn
that they're diluting the "English" ones' gene pool, but I'm inclined to
be conservative and cautious about such things.

How to tell if they're Spanish: generally chunkier in all features than
natives, flowers likely to be pink and white as well as blue (these
colours rare in natives), and not one-sided on the stalk. (IIRC, not
scented??) Without experience, could be mistaken for a sort of hyacinth.

--
Mike.