Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Jill

Default favourite conservatory plants????

Hi
My mum has a good sized conservatory 12 ft by 12 ft at least
We are on the west coast of Scotland - looking over the sea
but the room is almost part of the house
The bottom 3 foot is double block work and it is double glazed and the door
from the well heated house is always open
I know absolutely nothing about indoor plants these day
our house next door has 3 ft thick stone walls and they all face north or
east so I don't bother
She has tried some of the "normal" greenery house plants but they seem to go
very "washed" out
It may be care but it seems more that the light is just too strong and they
reduce the amount of chlorophyll to compensate
Amaryllis love it - there are over 50 in there - almost boring!!!
and the few orchids she has like it too
Its her birthday soon and she would love some of the more glam plants
Bougainvillea comes to mind but what are your favourites ?
and how is the best way to care for indoor plants
I am fine with the outdoor - get hit by all and sundry plants
but not used to dealing with " ideal" conditions up here :~))
all help would be gratefully received
Don't want to spend a fortune to be wasted but would love to do something
nice for her

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Old 31-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Jill" writes:

| My mum has a good sized conservatory 12 ft by 12 ft at least
| We are on the west coast of Scotland - looking over the sea
| but the room is almost part of the house
| The bottom 3 foot is double block work and it is double glazed and the door
| from the well heated house is always open
| I know absolutely nothing about indoor plants these day
| our house next door has 3 ft thick stone walls and they all face north or
| east so I don't bother
| She has tried some of the "normal" greenery house plants but they seem to go
| very "washed" out
| It may be care but it seems more that the light is just too strong and they
| reduce the amount of chlorophyll to compensate

Very unlikely indeed. Even in midsummer, the sun in the UK is very
weak relative to the tropics.

It is far more likely that the humidity is too low, or the plants
are being over watered - either can cause that. For such conditions,
dry terrain subtropicals in a free-draining compost are good, as
they can survive considerable neglect, and don't mind the low
humidity.

| Amaryllis love it - there are over 50 in there - almost boring!!!
| and the few orchids she has like it too
| Its her birthday soon and she would love some of the more glam plants
| Bougainvillea comes to mind but what are your favourites ?

That is a bit tricky to get to reflower. I can support the
suggestion of Strelitzia regina (bird of paradise flower). It is
dead easy if kept dryish in winter. Another nice one is Tibouchina
semidecandra, but it is a martyr to greenfly. Clivia is also good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-03-2003, 09:56 AM

"Jill" wrote in message
[...]
:
: --
: Jill Bowis
:
: http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
: http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
: http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage
:
I don't have a conservatory but how about clivia, or some of the gingers?

Old 31-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Jill

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Jill" writes:
| She has tried some of the "normal" greenery house plants but they seem

to go
| very "washed" out
| It may be care but it seems more that the light is just too strong and

they
| reduce the amount of chlorophyll to compensate

Very unlikely indeed. Even in midsummer, the sun in the UK is very
weak relative to the tropics.

up here the sunlight is very strong indeed in the summer especially

It is far more likely that the humidity is too low, or the plants
are being over watered - either can cause that.

right - too low may be very possible
The house is very dry - having a heat exchanger which allows removes water
from teh air

For such conditions,
dry terrain subtropicals in a free-draining compost are good, as
they can survive considerable neglect, and don't mind the low
humidity.

Thank you

| Amaryllis love it - there are over 50 in there - almost boring!!!
| and the few orchids she has like it too
| Its her birthday soon and she would love some of the more glam plants
| Bougainvillea comes to mind but what are your favourites ?

That is a bit tricky to get to reflower.

Thanks - noted
I can support the
suggestion of Strelitzia regina (bird of paradise flower). It is
dead easy if kept dryish in winter. Another nice one is Tibouchina
semidecandra, but it is a martyr to greenfly.

not too much of a problem in teh past
Clivia is also good.

thanks for the great ideas
Will try and find some time for more research
any good links on creating the right conditions

Old 01-04-2003, 11:20 AM

"K" wrote in message
:

: I don't have a conservatory but how about clivia, or some of the gingers?
:
: K
:
I've just thought of another one. How about gardenia?

Old 06-04-2003, 01:56 AM
V6

My mum has a good sized conservatory 12 ft by 12 ft

I have a minature orange tree that thrives in a very similar setting.

Good luck
Jan