GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/123817-chlorine-resistant-plants-flowers.html)

kerry2 23-02-2006 05:21 PM

Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers

I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants that are chlorine resistant.

We are developing a new fountain in a public area, surrounded by a flower bed. For public health reasons the water in the fountain must be treated with chlorine. In windy conditions some of the fountain spray is likely to waft onto the adjacent flower bed.

I wonder could anyone suggest flowers or plants that may be suitable in these conditions.

Regards,

John.

Rupert 23-02-2006 11:51 PM

"kerry2" wrote in message

I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants
that are chlorine resistant.

We are developing a new fountain in a public area, surrounded by a
flower bed. For public health reasons the water in the fountain must
be treated with chlorine. In windy conditions some of the fountain
spray is likely to waft onto the adjacent flower bed.

I wonder could anyone suggest flowers or plants that may be suitable in
these conditions.

Regards,

John.
kerry2

It depends a lot on what material you are using to chlorinate the fountain
and at what level the chlorine will be maintained.
If it's the normal swimming pool technology using bleach or granular
chlorine in a buffered solution of bicarbonate/calcium chloride then the
spray will be salty and I guess coastal plants would do fine.
There are better sanitizers such as peroxide which would be a safer bet but
cost could be an issue.

As to which plants do well in salty conditions I do not know but someone
else will hopefully give you a few clues.

kerry2 24-02-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupert
"kerry2" wrote in message

[...]

Sincere thanks for your helpful advice.

John.

Bernard Peek 24-02-2006 04:52 PM

Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers

In message , kerry2
writes

I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants
that are chlorine resistant.

We are developing a new fountain in a public area, surrounded by a
flower bed. For public health reasons the water in the fountain must
be treated with chlorine. In windy conditions some of the fountain
spray is likely to waft onto the adjacent flower bed.

I wonder could anyone suggest flowers or plants that may be suitable in
these conditions.

Tough one. Chlorine will kill anything dead. I suspect that your best
bet would be to choose plants with a thick cuticle so that the leaves
won't be attacked. The chlorine will probably be at least partially
neutralised when it hits the soil.

Happily, these are likely to be the same salt tolerant plants that have
already been suggested.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Nick Maclaren 24-02-2006 05:09 PM

Chlorine Resistant Plants & Flowers

In article ,
Bernard Peek writes:
| In message , kerry2
| writes
|
| I wonder would anyone have suggestions in relation to flowers and plants
| that are chlorine resistant.
|
| Tough one. Chlorine will kill anything dead.

Er, no. Dilute solutions of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) are used
to sterilise seeds and even seedlings, rarely with any harmful effect.
Yes, it does damage living tissue but, at the dilution used, is
unlikely to be a major killer. Also, it will be quickly neutralised
(to common salt) by its oxidising action, and will then leach away
in the rain.

Now, that assumes it is merely a bit of spray - if the fountain
leaks into the bed, then it may well kill the plants.

| I suspect that your best
| bet would be to choose plants with a thick cuticle so that the leaves
| won't be attacked. The chlorine will probably be at least partially
| neutralised when it hits the soil.
|
| Happily, these are likely to be the same salt tolerant plants that have
| already been suggested.

Yes. I doubt that they will have any trouble, but some of the
salt-sensitive plants might.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rupert 24-02-2006 07:44 PM

"kerry2" wrote in message

Rupert Wrote:
"kerry2" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps the cheapest and safest solution would be to use a UV sterilisation
unit . Perhaps you should discuss the issue with your architect/designers

kerry2 26-02-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Peek
In message , kerry2
writes

[...]

Bernard, Thanks for your advice. Woulkd you suggest any particular plants?

John.

kerry2 27-02-2006 05:37 PM

Nick,

Thanks for your advice. No I expect the fountain pool will be water tight with just the spray at times wafting over the adjoining plants and flowers.

Best wishes,

John.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren