GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pear Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/12483-pear-problem.html)

Andrew Wells 31-03-2003 07:44 PM

Pear Problem

Hi

We've just (8 days ago) planted a new (2 year old) pear tree. This
afternoon, I noticed that one of the main branches looks dead for the top
three inches or so.

What should I do? Leave it, prune it, do something else to it? If I should
prune it, where?

Thanks

(A worried) Andrew

Paul Kelly 31-03-2003 08:56 PM

Pear Problem

"Andrew Wells" wrote in message
Hi

We've just (8 days ago) planted a new (2 year old) pear tree. This
afternoon, I noticed that one of the main branches looks dead for the top
three inches or so.

What should I do? Leave it, prune it, do something else to it? If I

should
prune it, where?

If it is dead and dying back it might well just be stress caused by moving
from its nice cosseted nursery life to your brutal garden (;-). You do not
want to leave dead wood to rot and be a source of infection, cut back to
0.5/1.0 cm above a healthy bud.

pk

anton 31-03-2003 11:56 PM

Pear Problem

Paul Kelly wrote in message ...

"Andrew Wells" wrote in message
Hi

We've just (8 days ago) planted a new (2 year old) pear tree. This
afternoon, I noticed that one of the main branches looks dead for the top
three inches or so.

What should I do? Leave it, prune it, do something else to it? If I

should
prune it, where?

If it is dead and dying back it might well just be stress caused by moving
from its nice cosseted nursery life to your brutal garden (;-). You do not
want to leave dead wood to rot and be a source of infection, cut back to
0.5/1.0 cm above a healthy bud.

Agreed. Try to pick a bud which will throw a branchlet in the
direction that you want it to.

--
Anton