Old 31-03-2003, 09:56 PM
John Dolan

Default pigeon problem

A horde of pigeons have set up home in my adjoining neighbour's roof space.
They all wake up at 7.45 and jump on my bay window roof for early morning
aerobics (although this morning they were late - obviously forgot to put the
clock forward). They then sit on the gutters and shit from a great height
onto my new block paved drive. The occasional egg also lands at the front
door, to splatter into smithereens (why not 'jonesereens'?)

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress to
scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Dolan

Old 31-03-2003, 10:32 PM
The Hoopeses

"John Dolan" wrote in message
A horde of pigeons have set up home in my adjoining neighbour's roof

space.
They all wake up at 7.45 and jump on my bay window roof for early morning
aerobics (although this morning they were late - obviously forgot to put

the
clock forward). They then sit on the gutters and shit from a great height
onto my new block paved drive. The occasional egg also lands at the front
door, to splatter into smithereens (why not 'jonesereens'?)

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress

scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Dolan

I've seen people put chicken wire or similar screening up along areas where
they perch. It often keeps them out of those cubbyholes they like to
occupy. Is that the type of roofline you have?

By the way, although I lurk off and on, this is my first post. Good luck
with the birds!

-
Al

Old 31-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Jack

John, I'm having a similar problem with birds in my gutters and eaves. I
found a website that has bird distress calls that are supposed to scare away
the birds. So I downloaded the sound and I've been playing it loudly in the
garden today, feeling a bit of a prat and hoping the neighbours didn't come
knocking on my door demanding to know if I was strangling the budgie!
Anyway, it didn't work! In fact, it was a bit like Hitchcock's The Birds
for a while there!

http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.com...irdxpeller.htm

There are bird spikes that keep pigeons away, but my birds are smaller so
apparently mesh netting is better but I don't fancy climbing a ladder to
reach the gutters.

Old 31-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Zizz

"John Dolan" wrote in message
A horde of pigeons have set up home in my adjoining neighbour's roof

space.
They all wake up at 7.45 and jump on my bay window roof for early morning
aerobics (although this morning they were late - obviously forgot to put

the
clock forward). They then sit on the gutters and shit from a great height
onto my new block paved drive. The occasional egg also lands at the front
door, to splatter into smithereens (why not 'jonesereens'?)

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress

scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Dolan

Water pistol ... one of those powerful ones??

Old 01-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Bart Bailey

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:44:48 +0100, "John Dolan"
wrote:

A horde of pigeons have set up home in my adjoining neighbour's roof space.
They all wake up at 7.45 and jump on my bay window roof for early morning
aerobics (although this morning they were late - obviously forgot to put the
clock forward). They then sit on the gutters and shit from a great height
onto my new block paved drive. The occasional egg also lands at the front
door, to splatter into smithereens (why not 'jonesereens'?)

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress to
scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Dolan

http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.com...eoncontrol.htm

Bart

Old 01-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Derek Turner

wrote:

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress to
scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

12-bore for preference. If you are in a built-up area a .410 is more
suitable.
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM
bigboard

wrote:

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress to
scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

12-bore for preference. If you are in a built-up area a .410 is more
suitable.

Air rifle would be even better. Also less lead in the resulting pie.

Old 01-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Larry Stoter

John Dolan wrote:

A horde of pigeons have set up home in my adjoining neighbour's roof space.
They all wake up at 7.45 and jump on my bay window roof for early morning
aerobics (although this morning they were late - obviously forgot to put the
clock forward). They then sit on the gutters and shit from a great height
onto my new block paved drive. The occasional egg also lands at the front
door, to splatter into smithereens (why not 'jonesereens'?)

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and I dont
want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or pigeon in distress to
scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Dolan

Life-size perching plastic Eagle Owls are available (not where). These
do seem to worry quite a lot of birds.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 01-04-2003, 10:08 PM
ned

wrote:

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and
I dont want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or
pigeon in distress to scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

12-bore for preference. If you are in a built-up area a .410 is
more suitable.

Air rifle would be even better. Also less lead in the resulting pie.

Taking this one step further, an unloaded air gun fired in their
general direction seems to work for me. Funnily enough, the pigeons
and rooks take the hint and the tits, sparrows and songbirds barely
ruffle their feathers before they are back.

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.

Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Alan Holmes

"ned" wrote in message
wrote:

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and
I dont want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or
pigeon in distress to scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

12-bore for preference. If you are in a built-up area a .410 is
more suitable.

Air rifle would be even better. Also less lead in the resulting pie.

Taking this one step further, an unloaded air gun fired in their
general direction seems to work for me. Funnily enough, the pigeons
and rooks take the hint and the tits, sparrows and songbirds barely
ruffle their feathers before they are back.

Firing an unloaded airgun will damage the gun.

Alan

Old 23-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Bigjon

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:01:12 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

"ned" wrote in message
wrote:

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and
I dont want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or
pigeon in distress to scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

12-bore for preference. If you are in a built-up area a .410 is
more suitable.

Air rifle would be even better. Also less lead in the resulting pie.

Taking this one step further, an unloaded air gun fired in their
general direction seems to work for me. Funnily enough, the pigeons
and rooks take the hint and the tits, sparrows and songbirds barely
ruffle their feathers before they are back.

Firing an unloaded airgun will damage the gun.

Alan

yes, much better to load and aim first....
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's probably on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 23-04-2003, 05:10 PM
c.mcculloch

I did read once that wine bottles (empty, or someone might nick them) lying
on their sides frightens off pigeons. Never tried it, but if you need an
excuse to hit the booze...

Colin
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"ned" wrote in message
wrote:

Any ideas as to how to move them on? Neighbour is an old chap and
I dont want to bother him. I thought of recording an owl, or
pigeon in distress to scare them, but it seems a bit far fetched.

All suggestions gratefully received.

12-bore for preference. If you are in a built-up area a .410 is
more suitable.

Air rifle would be even better. Also less lead in the resulting pie.

Taking this one step further, an unloaded air gun fired in their
general direction seems to work for me. Funnily enough, the pigeons
and rooks take the hint and the tits, sparrows and songbirds barely
ruffle their feathers before they are back.

Firing an unloaded airgun will damage the gun.

Alan

Serious pigeon problem michael United Kingdom 11 31-07-2010 10:18 AM
"Pigeon pea". Why so named? Phred Plant Science 2 03-06-2006 11:29 PM
Blooming Pigeon Orchid bk Orchids 1 11-09-2004 03:53 AM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Pigeon Manure Romy Beeck Gardening 2 06-08-2004 05:01 PM