Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 PM
jane taylor

Default Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners

This from the letters page of the new May BBC GW mag:

A reader wrote in to emphasise the danger of using cocoa shell mulches
in gardens with dogs. Their local dog club had already confirmed a
bitch dead due to eating cocoa shells. Apparently their chocolate
smell attracts the dogs, but they contain theobromine which even in
small quantities can kill a dog (so don't give one pieces from a human
chocolate bar either, no matter how much they beg!)

A manufacturer replied to the letter, saying there is a warning on the
bags. How many of us read the print on such things? They recommend
using bark mulches instead.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"jane taylor" wrote in message
This from the letters page of the new May BBC GW mag:

A reader wrote in to emphasise the danger of using cocoa shell mulches
in gardens with dogs. Their local dog club had already confirmed a
bitch dead due to eating cocoa shells. Apparently their chocolate
smell attracts the dogs, but they contain theobromine which even in
small quantities can kill a dog (so don't give one pieces from a human
chocolate bar either, no matter how much they beg!)

A manufacturer replied to the letter, saying there is a warning on the
bags. How many of us read the print on such things? They recommend
using bark mulches instead.

I'm sure this is serious, but on April 1 a recommendation for dog owners to
use bark mulches had me going for a moment

pk

Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 PM
jane taylor

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:39:03 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

~
[...]
Aargh! I'm so sorry - I didn't even notice the pun... ouch, and it's
a bad one too...

I was in the local Van Hage garden centre a week ago asking about
minarette Victoria plums: they didn't have any in the chap I asked
about availability said the demand plummets in March.
I lost it at that point :-)

(got one the next day, at, I'm sorry to say, another branch...)

Old 01-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Paul Kelly

wrote:
(got one the next day, at, I'm sorry to say, another branch...)

Really plumbing the depths with that one!

pk

Old 01-04-2003, 06:32 PM
jane

~
~ wrote:
~ (got one the next day, at, I'm sorry to say, another branch...)
~
~
~Really plumbing the depths with that one!

Oi! Don't you start! ;-)

Anybody would gage we'd had a Bountiful supply of them tucked away...

Old 01-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Paul Kelly

~
~ wrote:
~ (got one the next day, at, I'm sorry to say, another branch...)
~
~
~Really plumbing the depths with that one!

Oi! Don't you start! ;-)

Anybody would gage we'd had a Bountiful supply of them tucked away...

Ok! Ok! I concede victoria to you!

pk

Old 01-04-2003, 10:32 PM
jane

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:34:24 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:58:42 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
~ wrote:
~
~ ~
~ ...
~ ~ wrote:
~ ~ (got one the next day, at, I'm sorry to say, another branch...)
~ ~
~ ~
~ ~Really plumbing the depths with that one!
~
~ Oi! Don't you start! ;-)
~
~ Anybody would gage we'd had a Bountiful supply of them tucked away...
~
~
~
~Ok! Ok! I concede victoria to you!
~

jane hunts for another pun before she runs out of April Fool's Day

I reckon you should get an award for Valor for your Stint in this thread!

g, d&r

Old 01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:34:24 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:
~

~
~Ok! Ok! I concede victoria to you!
~

jane hunts for another pun before she runs out of April Fool's Day

I reckon you should get an award for Valor for your Stint in this thread!

g, d&r

I agree, we should let it drop and enjoy the Merryweather tomorrow.

pk