Old 01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Tony Gent

Default Cat Litter (can it be used on my flower beds)

The cat litter that my cats used is the wood pellet type that soaks up any
mess. Once it has been used in the litter tray would it be ok to dig in my
flower beds (not veg patch). Has anybody got any info to suggest not to do
this?

Any help on this would be good

Tony

Old 01-04-2003, 09:20 PM
DaveDay34

The cat litter that my cats used is the wood pellet type that soaks up any
mess. Once it has been used in the litter tray would it be ok to dig in my
flower beds (not veg patch). Has anybody got any info to suggest not to do
this?

Any help on this would be good

Tony

Would be best to add the litter to the compost heap/bin and let it break down
naturally well away from where you might come into intimate contact with it, if
you catch my drift. Once the bacteria and worms have dealt with it along with
other waste from the garden and kitchen it'll be fine.

Dave.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:44 PM
hayley

The cat litter that my cats used is the wood pellet type that soaks up any
mess. Once it has been used in the litter tray would it be ok to dig in my
flower beds (not veg patch). Has anybody got any info to suggest not to do
this?

you can catch toxoplasmosis (sp) from cat poo which is very bad if you are
pregnant (but most gardeners and meat eaters are immune anyway). Also the
smell may encourage your cats (or other cats) to use your garden
Hayley

Old 01-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Tony Gent

To be honest my cat does its business in the garden anyway so any type of
nasties will be in soil already.
Or is this just a really bad idea and should be forgotten about.

Tony

Old 01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tony Gent
writes
To be honest my cat does its business in the garden anyway so any type of
nasties will be in soil already.
Or is this just a really bad idea and should be forgotten about.

I'd suggest chucking the solid bits down the loo and putting the rest on
the compost heap. I think it could do with a bit of mellowing before
it's put round plants, just as you'd do with horse manure.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-04-2003, 11:44 PM
swroot

Tony Gent wrote:

The cat litter that my cats used is the wood pellet type that soaks up any
mess. Once it has been used in the litter tray would it be ok to dig in my
flower beds (not veg patch). Has anybody got any info to suggest not to do
this?

Any help on this would be good

I put it in the compost bins, alternating layers with green
garden/kitchen waste. Because I understand the micro-organisms that rot
sawdust require a lot of nitrogen (more, in my experience, than is
present in the used litter if the brown lumps are removed :-) I water
the sawdust with dilute nitrogen-rich liquid, and also sprinkle with
garden lime as it can otherwise become acid. When I get it right the
worms are as happy in the sawdust as anywhere else in the heap, and the
whole lot rots down to rich brown stuff.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 01-04-2003, 11:56 PM
June Hughes

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Tony Gent
writes
To be honest my cat does its business in the garden anyway so any type of
nasties will be in soil already.
Or is this just a really bad idea and should be forgotten about.

I'd suggest chucking the solid bits down the loo and putting the rest on
the compost heap. I think it could do with a bit of mellowing before
it's put round plants, just as you'd do with horse manure.

The soiled bits are not solid - they powder after getting wet. I have
two rescue cats, who are staying indoors after having had a bad life
until now. We have been putting the powdery litter in the compost bin
with some success. It breaks down very easily, with very little smell.
Beats the grey stuff no end
--
June Hughes
Old 01-04-2003, 11:56 PM
hayley

"Get a cat of your own and the others won't come into your garden"

it's not the smell of your cat but your cat that tends to scare off others.
The mention of cat litter led me to assume that this cat maybe an indoor cat
so would not be available to chase off others
Hayley

Old 02-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:42:21 +0100, Tony Gent wrote:

The cat litter that my cats used is the wood pellet type that soaks up any
mess. Once it has been used in the litter tray would it be ok to dig in my
flower beds (not veg patch). Has anybody got any info to suggest not to do
this?

Due to the composition of cat pee, spent litter may be too "hot"
to put directly on your beds. Do you have a compost heap or bin?
Spent cat litter with the feces screened out makes an excellent
compost activator.

In another reply to the original posting, Kay Easton wrote:

I'd suggest chucking the solid bits down the loo...

....but not all at once. I nearly had a toilet overflow from too
much cat poo dumped into the bowl at one time.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 02-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:44:16 +0100, Mike wrote:

Excuse me but that contradicts everything that has been said on this and
other newsgroups by cat owners.

We do it deliberately to confuse the enemies of cats.

[it's April first, btw]

Old 02-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , June Hughes
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Tony Gent
writes
To be honest my cat does its business in the garden anyway so any type of
nasties will be in soil already.
Or is this just a really bad idea and should be forgotten about.

I'd suggest chucking the solid bits down the loo and putting the rest on
the compost heap. I think it could do with a bit of mellowing before
it's put round plants, just as you'd do with horse manure.

The soiled bits are not solid - they powder after getting wet.

Sorry - I was using solid as a euphemism for faeces.
I wouldn't advise chucking large amounts of cat litter down the loo.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:32 PM
bnd777

Well I sure get upset when my neighbour dumps hers down the other side of
my chain link fence
given the risk of Toxicara etc I dont think any cat or dog faeces should be
allowed on the garden

Old 02-04-2003, 08:44 PM
bnd777

One can but try
but it seems most cat owners dont care that their animals usually mess other
gardeners gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

I dont think any cat or dog faeces should be
allowed on the garden

So, we control our dogs both in the garden, and outside because of all
the notices, therefore can you please explain that to the cat owners who
don't give a toss?

Mike
Who would like to see laws come in to control cats and those who 'own'
them.

------
Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM

"Mike" wrote in message
: In article , bnd777
: writes
:
:
: I dont think any cat or dog faeces should be
: allowed on the garden
:
:
: So, we control our dogs both in the garden, and outside because of all
: the notices, therefore can you please explain that to the cat owners who
: don't give a toss?
:
: Mike
: Who would like to see laws come in to control cats and those who 'own'
: them.

Change the record sunshine.

Composting cat Litter Rupert United Kingdom 4 15-11-2004 05:43 PM
Cat litter mandy armit Gardening 13 05-10-2003 08:32 PM
composting cat litter Chris Owens Gardening 0 16-09-2003 01:32 PM
used kitty litter & gardening? Ablang Gardening 8 05-07-2003 03:44 PM