Old 28-02-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Lidl Gardening week

Holly, in France wrote:
Next time you are in France have a look in Lidl.

(snip)

I think I will now. You've convinced me! And I'm really curious. I've
got to be honest with you, everytime I'm in Bordeaux or Perigueux I get
draged to the markets by my old aunt, and she is really keen on the
local co-op. These are quite nice and they have Madeleines, and I'll do
anything for one of these now to dunk in my tea, right now too! Do you
know them?

Old 28-02-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Cat(h) wrote:

(grande snipette)

True, and thank you, but this is a gardening newsgroup, and to be fair
to those who log on to read about gardening, this time, I am really
shutting up :-)

Best indeed. I don't know how good is your french, but there's a
fantastic forum, fr.rec.jardinage. They are the most absolutely funiest
full of beans people I've ever met. Watch out for a Sogoz. He's good at
pun but he knows his plants. A bientot j'espere )

Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Sacha" wrote
"La Puce" wrote:

snip
Yes, to someone else and that someone else is actually quite an
interesting person and I will not get into further problems with her.
So leave it Sue. Please, go and gossip about your neighbours, but
leave me alone.

Why that remark about Sue and her neighbours? snip

Par for the course?

Some of my neighbours are keen gardeners who generously swap plants and
advice, so I'm not going to gossip too much about them here in case they
log on.

It did occur to me though that LaP's remark could be interpreted as if
I'd been among those she claims are mailing her about other Urglers, so
I should like to make it clear I have never sent her email, ever.

--
Sue

Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
Do you really not see how it is

Yes I do. For every time Janet is abusing me by suddenly calling me
Puke I'll ripost. For everytime you come to stand behind the bully and
defend her or anybody else does, I'll ripost. I think it's fair enough.

Ho look, the sun's come out! My Muscari's glorious this year and the
honeysuckle has doubled it's buds. Hollyhocks growing steadily, Rusty's
honesty have all made 4 more leaves but the chillies are slower though.
I've treated myself to some dahlias - me, dahlias!!! I bought Roxy,
with black foliage. I thought it sounded very interesting. We will see
)

Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/3/06 0:54, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
"La Puce" wrote:

snip
Yes, to someone else and that someone else is actually quite an
interesting person and I will not get into further problems with her.
So leave it Sue. Please, go and gossip about your neighbours, but
leave me alone.

Why that remark about Sue and her neighbours? snip

Par for the course?

Unhappily, yes. Disagreeing with, or disliking, others on a newsgroup is
one thing but constantly insulting their families or their relationships
manages to be both deeply unpleasant and childishly pathetic at the same
time.

Some of my neighbours are keen gardeners who generously swap plants and
advice, so I'm not going to gossip too much about them here in case they
log on.

It did occur to me though that LaP's remark could be interpreted as if
I'd been among those she claims are mailing her about other Urglers, so
I should like to make it clear I have never sent her email, ever.

Very wise of you!;-) And I should think those who have now regret it,
given the lack of t&d applied to them by Puce.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message .com, La
Puce writes

Sacha wrote:
Do you really not see how it is

Yes I do. For every time Janet is abusing me by suddenly calling me
Puke I'll ripost.

Did she? I must say I didn't see that but if you say she did, she must
have done and that is very bad indeed. Can't you just try and ignore
these people if they upset you? I know it is difficult but the
constant bickering has almost ruined what used to be a lovely friendly
group. I used to get my hair off at them but now can't be bothered.
Years ago, we always had a certain amount of conflict in winter when
there wasn't much gardening to do and I admit to having been a bit
cheeky to Alan Gould at times (he took it in good part, fortunately).
There seems to be a small group which think they own this ng and as a
result they are very clannish and dictatorial. That is a pity because
they are very knowledgeable about gardening, which is why I am loathe to
put them in my kill-file.

Ho look, the sun's come out! My Muscari's glorious this year and the
honeysuckle has doubled it's buds. Hollyhocks growing steadily, Rusty's
honesty have all made 4 more leaves but the chillies are slower though.
I've treated myself to some dahlias - me, dahlias!!! I bought Roxy,
with black foliage. I thought it sounded very interesting. We will see

My honeysuckle is also coming on a treat but I am going to have to move
it this year (laziness meant I did not do it last year) so am rather
concerned that I may kill it off. My fig tree is nice and green,
despite my not taking Rusty's advice to plant it out, so it is still in
the pot. Again, I think crunch time has come for moving it. My dog has
killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. Finally, although it
is very cold, I saw a woodpecker in the park this morning. Very
exciting.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-03-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Bear's breeches [Was: Lidl Gardening week]

June Hughes wrote:
[...]
My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

This caught my attention (among the wise remarks on a subject I don't
get embroiled in, thank you!). I like English names, though like most
people I seem to use them less and less. But this may be the first time
I've seen this one, Bear's Breech[es], used on its own rather than
alongside the Latin _Acanthus_. Does anybody know how this curious name
arose? OED is no great help, but I find that the plant is/was also
called "Bear's Foot", and in Medieval Latin _branca ursina_, "bear's
claw". The Greek word just means "spiny".

Just to confuse matters, OED says "Brank-ursine" was sometimes
erroneously applied to hogweed!

--
Mike.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Following up to "Mike Lyle" :

June Hughes wrote:
[...]
My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

This caught my attention (among the wise remarks on a subject I don't
get embroiled in, thank you!). I like English names, though like most
people I seem to use them less and less. But this may be the first time
I've seen this one, Bear's Breech[es], used on its own rather than
alongside the Latin _Acanthus_. Does anybody know how this curious name
arose? OED is no great help, but I find that the plant is/was also
called "Bear's Foot", and in Medieval Latin _branca ursina_, "bear's
claw". The Greek word just means "spiny".

Just to confuse matters, OED says "Brank-ursine" was sometimes
erroneously applied to hogweed!

Not too erroneously, perhaps.
Bärenklau (~bear's claw) is the/a German common name for giant hogweed
(Heracleum mantegazzianum)

--
Tim C.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Tim C.
writes
Following up to "Mike Lyle" :

June Hughes wrote:
[...]
My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

This caught my attention (among the wise remarks on a subject I don't
get embroiled in, thank you!). I like English names, though like most
people I seem to use them less and less. But this may be the first time
I've seen this one, Bear's Breech[es], used on its own rather than
alongside the Latin _Acanthus_. Does anybody know how this curious name
arose? OED is no great help, but I find that the plant is/was also
called "Bear's Foot", and in Medieval Latin _branca ursina_, "bear's
claw". The Greek word just means "spiny".

Just to confuse matters, OED says "Brank-ursine" was sometimes
erroneously applied to hogweed!

Not too erroneously, perhaps.
Bärenklau (~bear's claw) is the/a German common name for giant hogweed
(Heracleum mantegazzianum)

Blimey! If mine was that, it may be just as well it is dead!
--
June Hughes
Old 01-03-2006, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

June Hughes wrote:
Did she? I must say I didn't see that but if you say she did, she must
have done and that is very bad indeed.

Yes she did. See below:-

From: Janet Baraclough - view profile
Date: Mon, Feb 27 2006 2:51 am
Email: Janet Baraclough
Groups: uk.rec.gardening
Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 4 days (Mar 6, 2:51 am).
The message
from Martin contains these words:
Maybe what they sell in NL is better than they sell in UK?

Ignore the misinformation by Puke.
Janet

Can't you just try and ignore
these people if they upset you?

I will from now on. At least I'll try.

My honeysuckle is also coming on a treat but I am going to have to move
it this year (laziness meant I did not do it last year) so am rather
concerned that I may kill it off. My fig tree is nice and green,
despite my not taking Rusty's advice to plant it out, so it is still in
the pot. Again, I think crunch time has come for moving it. My dog has
killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. Finally, although it
is very cold, I saw a woodpecker in the park this morning. Very
exciting.

A woodpecker? I haven't seen one in years! My puppy has chewed my
yukka, to the point that I have now cut off it's only head (the yukka
not the puppy) and replanted it. I'll burn the trunk. I had rescued it
from a skip years ago. A loooooooonnnng stem, perhaps 4 metres long
with only 4 leaves at the top. I had choped it and 2 new buds came. It
was perhaps 20 years old. Shame.

My cousin has just told me that 3 more figs are growing from under her
house! The stuff is so persistant, in her garden (Bordeaux) it's like a
weed )

Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Tim C. wrote:

Bear's Breech[es], used on its own rather than
alongside the Latin _Acanthus_. Does anybody know how this curious name
arose?

From the folklore of plants .... "The bear is another common prefix.

Thus there is the bear's-foot, from its digital leaf, the bear-berry,
or bear's-bilberry, from its fruit being a favourite food of bears, and
the bear's-garlick. There is the bear's-breech, from its roughness, a
name transferred by some mistake from the Acanthus to the cow-parsnip,
and the bear's-wort, which it has been suggested "is rather to be
derived from its use in uterine complaints than from the animal."

From my book from A Smith meanings and origins of names .... " In

America called 'bear's breech' from the size and appearance of the leaf
which is very big, borad and distingly hairy. The acanthus leaf was
favorite decoration in classical sculpture as in the capital of the
crintian colum. In England the bear has been dressed up and it is now
called 'bear's breeches' despite long standing authority of the
contrary."

Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

June Hughes wrote:

| My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

It took me a decade to kill, after I decided it was either that or
let it turn the garden into a bear's breech.

How do you use a dog to kill it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Dave the exTrailer" wrote in message
On 27 Feb 2006 06:14:18 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

JennyC wrote:
Not everything is poor quality.
In the Netherlands, their fruit juice is German and pure. Their beer
is German Reinheitverbod compliant and not the output of the local
chemical works.
We got a good quality pressure cooker from Lidl.
They don't have a big variety of things, except for some reason of
frankfurter sausages.

Their jams are great too and the frozen salmon portions........
You do have to be picky with the veg though.

HOOOOOOooo stop it! I'm starving now!! Is Lidl german? This is it -
this is why it's nice where you are, but not where we are. Ours, on
Seymour Grove, is weird and half empty and as I said, only the
chocolate is ok - the rest is really bizarre and I have no confidence
in the prices.

There is usually a queue at ours at 9.00
This week the veg is half price too !!!!!

I lived in Germany in the early 90s for a few years and it was a wonderful
place to be at that time; I felt very affluent and lived in a lovely
apartment and could afford to live well. BUT, the supermarkets were
astonishing. Germans try to buy their food in local shops or markets where
they can. Their supermarkets ranged from mildly plush to stalinist. I
could never figure out exactly why. From what I remember Lidl and Aldi were
towards the lower end of the scale. In general, German food quality is high
and the beer and meat are excellent obviously but shopping in teh
supermarkets was stressful. We used to drive to France sometimes just to
relax, for shopping.

In the UK, you are very pampered. Most German supermarkets make Tesco seem
like Playboy Mansion.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:

| My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

It took me a decade to kill, after I decided it was either that or
let it turn the garden into a bear's breech.

How do you use a dog to kill it?

Wee on it.