Old 01-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Bear's breeches [Was: Lidl Gardening week]

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

June Hughes wrote:

| My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

It took me a decade to kill, after I decided it was either that or
let it turn the garden into a bear's breech.

How do you use a dog to kill it?

G Labrador..... Wee...... Juggernaut!
Having read what has been said, I feel better about it being dead. I am
not sure that it won't spring up again though.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

June Hughes wrote:
G Labrador..... Wee...... Juggernaut!

Good boy )

Having read what has been said, I feel better about it being dead. I am
not sure that it won't spring up again though.

It will come back! But those little purple flowers are quite cute I
think ;o)

Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
June Hughes wrote:

My dog has killed off my bear's breeches, which is a shame. [...]

It took me a decade to kill, after I decided it was either that or
let it turn the garden into a bear's breech.

How do you use a dog to kill it?

And meanwhile here was me, spreading its offspring all over the place! I
love the thing, in spite of its enthusiastic self-seeding.

--
Mike.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Lidl Gardening week

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Do you really think that "Puke", is worse than the longterm tirade
of smut, sexual insults and foul language aimed at me by her? Or did you
miss that too? You didn't see her refer to me as ****,and dozens of
equally sordid terms of physical and sexual denigration?

THAT'S ENOUGH! I'm reporting you.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle"

[...]
is/was also called "Bear's Foot", and in Medieval Latin _branca
ursina_, "bear's claw".

[...]
It has a long medicinal history. Culpeper's herbal refers to
acanthus as "brank-ursine". I'm wondering if the brank, refers to the
OE/old celtic word branks meaning a scolds bridle, a sort of metal
helmet for women who talked too much ( sucks to anyone who thought
this thread had escaped from all that! ) .Variations of the scolds
bridle
were given animal names.

The acanthus flower could be imagined to look rather helmet-like.

I think the English is just an adaptation of late Latin _branca_, "paw".
"Brank[s]" for "scold's bridle" is a Scots word of unestablished origin.
In English English "Brank" was also used for buckwheat, but I don't
think there's a connection there.

--
Mike.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Parker

#include .com

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Do you really think that "Puke", is worse than the longterm tirade
of smut, sexual insults and foul language aimed at me by her? Or did you
miss that too? You didn't see her refer to me as ****,and dozens of
equally sordid terms of physical and sexual denigration?

THAT'S ENOUGH! I'm reporting you.

Oh dear, first killfile entry for urg
--
Richard Parker

Beware of and eschew pompous prolixity.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
I think the English is just an adaptation of late Latin _branca_, "paw".
"Brank[s]" for "scold's bridle" is a Scots word of unestablished origin.
In English English "Brank" was also used for buckwheat, but I don't
think there's a connection there.

You perhaps missed my post on this ...

From the folklore of plants .... "The bear is another common prefix.

Thus there is the bear's-foot, from its digital leaf, the bear-berry,
or bear's-bilberry, from its fruit being a favourite food of bears, and
the bear's-garlick. There is the bear's-breech, from its roughness, a
name transferred by some mistake from the Acanthus to the cow-parsnip,
and the bear's-wort, which it has been suggested "is rather to be
derived from its use in uterine complaints than from the animal."

My book 'naming of plants' says the acanthus is called bear's breech
from the size and appearance of the leaf which is very big, broad and
hairy. Acanthus in greek means thorn.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

That's an interesting gardening point. I know you're on dry sandy soil,
while I was then on clay with lots of Welsh rain (though the plants were
in a long raised west-facing bed against the house). I never noticed
much suckering, but they seeded constantly, especially in the path
below.

Yes. Some plants seem to sucker like the devil on some soils,
and not at all on others. It's also possible that the suckering
was triggered by me trying to get rid of the thing - certainly,
I don't remember it doing so before I started to do that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pedt

In message .com, at
06:14:28 on Tue, 28 Feb 2006, La Puce wibbled

What?! I have asked Pedt to stop crossposting.

I have only crossposted once here except when carrying out duties as the
VT appointed by UKV to take a vote that had an impact on this group or
any subsequent post discussion that had already included urg. See below.

It was however apparently necessary to do so because then posters would
benefit on learning how to filter the spams/troll whatever.

This is not what I said. I only left the crosspost in as it was to the
benefit of urg (and unnc where an RFD based on the reply would have
finished up) regulars that the suggestion proposed as a solution to the
current floods was based on a premise that was inaccurate and would
waste everyone's time better spent if someone tried to implement the
suggestion formally. If I didn't care enough about the uk.* hierarchy
then I wouldn't have bothered even looking in here when it was mentioned
in unnc that urg was being flooded.

Further discussion on crossposting and when it should or should not
occur to unnc is probably not relevant in this particular discussion
as it stands so follow-ups set to poster.

--
Pedt
uk.announce ~ moderated group to announce news / events of specific interest to
Old 02-03-2006, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Do you really think that "Puke", is worse than the longterm tirade
of smut, sexual insults and foul language aimed at me by her? Or did you
miss that too? You didn't see her refer to me as ****,and dozens of
equally sordid terms of physical and sexual denigration?

THAT'S ENOUGH! I'm reporting you.

Are you quite sure you want my isp to see copies of all the evidence?

Here's a fresh example , posted by you today on misc.rural.

snip
End quote.

Janet

And there was me thinking things here had changed. Silly old me! Can't
you just let it rest, instead of always having the last word, and get on
with urg? That way it may just manage to survive.

--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
Don't be so ridiculous. You're extremely lucky nobody reported you for the
viciousness of the language you have used to describe Janet, over and over
again. What an incredibly silly, conceited creature you are.

I've told Janet 1. that she had a moustache, 2. that she ought to clear
those cobwebs, 3. that she was a witch and 3. une conne. She however
makes further claim that I called her words I would never ever use. She
is getting what she deserves and if I was you I wouldn't get involved.

Back to the subject of this forum, please.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:45:37 +0000, La Puce wrote
(in article .com):

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Are you quite sure you want my isp to see copies of all the evidence?

It's too late Janet. I have never called you what you said I did. I
only wrote that you had a moustache, that you are a witch, that you
need to clear some cobwebs and that you are une conne. I don't stalk
you and call you name. I ripost only to your vile abuse. As I said,
it's too late. This is my last post to you.

If only I could believe that were true:-(

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 02-03-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Richard Parker
writes
Oh dear, first killfile entry for urg

I won't repeat the message but I had to go and look up the meaning of
your "prolixity" signature!

Learn a new word every day - much better than verbosity as it takes a
minute to work out whether one has been insulted....

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson wrote:
If only I could believe that were true:-(

True. Really. I cannot carry on being first called a troll within 2
days of first posting here, then referred as giving 'false
information', then being told what I do for a living (this greatly
amused my office), even to telling me how to understand french!!

I've had enough Sally. So get your smile back. I won't write back to
her )

Snow is melting now. Shame for the kids who had hoped for so much more.
I'm glad - all the alliums are out, about 10cm now. Heavy snow would
have really damage them.