Old 05-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Andy

Default Coloured Greenhouses

Does anyone know why the coloured option is so expensive with ally
greenhouses? It's a couple of hundred quid in some cases. And is
there any reason why you can't just spray them with a suitable paint?

Andy
Old 05-04-2003, 04:20 PM

"Andy" wrote in message
Does anyone know why the coloured option is so expensive with ally
greenhouses? It's a couple of hundred quid in some cases.

If you are referring to a colour anodized finish, part of it is in the
difficulty in obtaining a consistent finish - one reason I reverted to clear
anodizing on anything I make. However, as the price of colour anodizing
seems to depend a lot on the colour chosen, I suspect that the cost of the
dyes used is also a significant factor.

And is
there any reason why you can't just spray them with a suitable paint?

None, provided that you use a good chromate primer first. I did that to some
aluminium guttering, using marine grade chromate primer, about 15 years ago
and the paint still looks good, if a little matt.

Colin Bignell

Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
JimM

I think the price premium is due the process they use. In laymans terms I
think they coat the frame with a powder and then bake it in an oven which
liquifys the powder and bonds it to the metal. This is presumably more
expensive then sticking a coat of paint on.

On my green greenhouse the colour coat is more substantial than paint but
can still be scratched off if you try hard enough

Like the previous poster says though, I can't see anything wrong with
painting it if you want.

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
nightjar wrote in message
. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Drakanthus

Does anyone know why the coloured option is so expensive with ally
greenhouses? It's a couple of hundred quid in some cases. And is
there any reason why you can't just spray them with a suitable paint?

Andy

Aluminium cannot be painted with ordinary paint, it flakes off. I don't know if
there are any special paints that will adhere to it.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 07-04-2003, 12:20 PM

Aluminium cannot be painted with ordinary paint, it flakes off. I don't
know if
there are any special paints that will adhere to it.

Hammerite seems to work well with mine.

Best,

- h