Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Chicken Manure. Is it safe?

Hi,

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Drakanthus

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Personally I wouldn't put it on a veg patch - especially near salad crops or
vegetables eaten raw where there is more chance of eating salmonella contaminated
food.
I'd still be reluctant to put it around flowers as well.
I suspect that the commercially available "pelleted chicken manure" has been
sterilised.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Derek Turner

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:39:37 +0100, wrote:

Hi,

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

I speak as a very amateur gardener but as an ex-professional
bacteriologist who dealt with salmonella every day of my working life.

1. Due to testing and vaccination Samonella enteritidis in eggs is (it
is to be hoped) becomimg a thing of the past. But the many, many other
species of Salmonella (that don't get into the eggs) are not tested
for nor vaccinated against. The advice we always gave was to treat
fresh chicken in the kitchen as you would treat a fresh turd! Assume
it's infectious and wipe up after.

2. Salmonella sp. are one of the easiest bugs to kill. A temperature
of 60 degrees Celcius does it, so does drying out. It is not very
resilient once out of its natural environment.

3. If the stuff is coming fresh from the shed floor I suggest you
compost it first: it will heat up to way beyond 60 if you have a
decent quantity. This will make it perfectly safe.

4. And/or dry it very well.

5. The few live bacteria that might get onto salad leaves are very
unlikely to infect you, especially if you are a healthy adult. It
takes quite a high dose to make you ill. Take more care with, infants,
the elderley and anyone whose immune system is compromised.

6. You are far more likely to infected by poultry that is improperly
cooked or from cold meat that has been cross-contaminated. To reach
infectious levels the bugs need to breed on a nutritious substrate
(e.g. meat).

7. You could be even more cautious by using the manure as a compost
accelerator/enricher i.e. mixing it with your grass-cuttings etc. The
heap will get VERY hot!

8. I have a small flock of chickens in the garden and use them for
ground clearance between crops (i.e. depositing fresh droppings).
Frankly, it never occurs to me to worry! Relax!
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:

I speak as a very amateur gardener but as an ex-professional
bacteriologist who dealt with salmonella every day of my working life.

5. The few live bacteria that might get onto salad leaves are very
unlikely to infect you, especially if you are a healthy adult. It
takes quite a high dose to make you ill. Take more care with, infants,
the elderley and anyone whose immune system is compromised.

I wish that you could have some influence on our infernal government
and media :-(

Even excluding the fact that Chief Bullshit Advisers are paid to
prostitute their scientific reputations, the coverage leads even
many educated people to believe that Salmonella should be considered
as comparable to typhoid or even cholera. And that E. coli (generally,
not just 0157) is a disease :-(

And recent research indicates that preventing children (not infants)
from being exposed to minor infections like Salmonella can lead to more
serious problems in later life. This isn't yet proven, as far as I
know, but the evidence seems fairly convincing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:

I speak as a very amateur gardener but as an ex-professional
bacteriologist who dealt with salmonella every day of my working life.

5. The few live bacteria that might get onto salad leaves are very
unlikely to infect you, especially if you are a healthy adult. It
takes quite a high dose to make you ill. Take more care with, infants,
the elderley and anyone whose immune system is compromised.

Hurrah!

Mary

Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 PM
GSV BP

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Personally I wouldn't put it on a veg patch - especially near salad crops

or
vegetables eaten raw where there is more chance of eating salmonella

contaminated
food.
I'd still be reluctant to put it around flowers as well.
I suspect that the commercially available "pelleted chicken manure" has

been
sterilised.
--

Chicken feed pellets would be conditioned to 80C plus to kill the bugs, not
entirely sure on the pelleted manure, but I'd guess it would need 50C or so

Al

Old 05-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Mary Fisher

The only thing any of my cohort can remember about cholera was the Prof
who said
"Cholera is not a fatal disease, provided you keep the patient alive."

What I remember is the journalists' saying:

"Cholera out, choldera in."

A bit like GIGO, in fact exactly like GIGO with the emphasis reversed.

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Cerumen

wrote in message
Hi,

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Compost it properly and its safe.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
chicken manure Tim Challenger United Kingdom 42 26-05-2004 11:15 PM
Old chicken manure Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 4 09-05-2004 04:02 AM
chicken manure Coffea ramosa United Kingdom 9 25-06-2003 08:30 PM
Chicken manure! Steve Jackson United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 08:56 AM