Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default ground covering invasive weed ID

Spreads like the proverbial wildfire although it is quite easily removed.
It's leaves are teardrop shaped and green and stay like this throughout the
year but the most unusual thing about it is that part of it's leaves are
silver, shiny silver, almost metallic...it spreads via 'runners' like
buttercups and strawberries.
It covers and area at the side of my garden (wasteland) and the 'patch' is
approx 6m by 20m, and it keeps invading my garden, over, under and through
the fence.
Is this a weed or is it an old plant that someone has discarded many moons
ago?
if anyone has any suggestions I'll google for images but I don't know where
to start.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Spreads like the proverbial wildfire although it is quite easily removed.
It's leaves are teardrop shaped and green and stay like this throughout
the year but the most unusual thing about it is that part of it's leaves
are silver, shiny silver, almost metallic...it spreads via 'runners' like
buttercups and strawberries.

Potentilla anserina?
Silverweed?
If it is,
it has pretty yellow flat flowers with 5 petals or so and red runners and
shiny silver leaves but the leaves are pinnate (two rows of leaflets along
central axis, and each is teardrop shaped but has finely divided edges.
It is very common on wasteground and is a native weed.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Des Higgins wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Spreads like the proverbial wildfire although it is quite easily
removed. It's leaves are teardrop shaped and green and stay like
this throughout the year but the most unusual thing about it is that
part of it's leaves are silver, shiny silver, almost metallic...it
spreads via 'runners' like buttercups and strawberries.

Potentilla anserina?
Silverweed?
If it is,
it has pretty yellow flat flowers with 5 petals or so and red runners
and shiny silver leaves but the leaves are pinnate (two rows of
leaflets along central axis, and each is teardrop shaped but has
finely divided edges. It is very common on wasteground and is a
native weed.

No it's nothing like that, the leaves are almost round, with just a point at
their ends, each leaf is about the size of an old penny, the green is a
darkish green....I don't recall ever seeing it flower, although it must do I
suppose.

Thanks though for looking.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan

Lamium Maculatum?
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...maculatum.html

Old 01-03-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/3/06 13:50, in article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

Spreads like the proverbial wildfire although it is quite easily removed.
It's leaves are teardrop shaped and green and stay like this throughout the
year but the most unusual thing about it is that part of it's leaves are
silver, shiny silver, almost metallic...it spreads via 'runners' like
buttercups and strawberries.
It covers and area at the side of my garden (wasteland) and the 'patch' is
approx 6m by 20m, and it keeps invading my garden, over, under and through
the fence.
Is this a weed or is it an old plant that someone has discarded many moons
ago?
if anyone has any suggestions I'll google for images but I don't know where
to start.

Lamium Pink Pewter, perhaps?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-03-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"John McMillan" wrote
Lamium Maculatum?
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...maculatum.html

Or possibly Lamiastrum galeobdolon (Yellow Archangel), which puts out
long runners and is extremely invasive. I heard someone refer to it once
as Lamium Galloping-along which suits it very well.

The variegated version does have a very metallic looking leaf.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...leobdolon.html

--
Sue

Old 01-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Sue wrote:
"John McMillan" wrote
Lamium Maculatum?
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...maculatum.html

Or possibly Lamiastrum galeobdolon (Yellow Archangel), which puts out
long runners and is extremely invasive. I heard someone refer to it
once as Lamium Galloping-along which suits it very well.

The variegated version does have a very metallic looking leaf.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...leobdolon.html

Yep, that's the chappy!

Is it native or has it come from someone's garden?

I ask because the ground where it is seems to be very fertile, I have
occasionally (before we got our compost bins) thrown the odd plant over the
fence which I didn't want on the compost heap and they have grown, namely
three Yuccas, one from just a thick root which I dug out, the others from
shoots which refuse to disintegrate in the normal way.
The other surprise is an old wiry hebe bush which has survived on top of a
rotten log for at leat 12 years.

the ground is just brambles, nettles and hawthorns and I like it that way.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/3/06 17:48, in article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

Sue wrote:
"John McMillan" wrote
Lamium Maculatum?
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...maculatum.html

Or possibly Lamiastrum galeobdolon (Yellow Archangel), which puts out
long runners and is extremely invasive. I heard someone refer to it
once as Lamium Galloping-along which suits it very well.

The variegated version does have a very metallic looking leaf.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...leobdolon.html

Yep, that's the chappy!

Is it native or has it come from someone's garden?

I think it's a garden escapee.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Registered User

I've just spent the best part of three afternoons pulling this bugger up from all over the place, especially under the rosa rugosa hedge (OUCH!).

Beats my why anyone would plant this originally, it looks awful IMO, like creeping, discoloured nettles.

Archangel? Nemesis more like!

Bob
Old 02-03-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L writes
Sue wrote:
"John McMillan" wrote
Lamium Maculatum?
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...maculatum.html

Or possibly Lamiastrum galeobdolon (Yellow Archangel), which puts out
long runners and is extremely invasive. I heard someone refer to it
once as Lamium Galloping-along which suits it very well.

The variegated version does have a very metallic looking leaf.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...leobdolon.html

Yep, that's the chappy!

Is it native or has it come from someone's garden?

No, it's not native, although the unvariegated L galeobdolon is. The
variegated one is an increasing escape from gardens, and is becoming a
matter for concern.

--
Kay

Fast covering ground cover with Squash (Kabocha) john hamilton United Kingdom 2 05-03-2010 12:46 PM
Covering ground Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 08:30 PM
Invasive Weed Control Zing Gardening 2 07-09-2004 11:19 PM
Ground covering? Nitesbane Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 09-07-2004 10:02 PM
"Ground cover" roses ( I want an invasive plant! zxcvbob Gardening 2 03-09-2003 06:02 PM