Old 12-03-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default **HOW'S SCOTLAND DOING?**

Dave Poole writes

Winters nowadays? Pah! they're utterly girlie by comparison.

Yeah. This winter in particular has been a big disappointment. Last
Saturday we had about an inch, but old enough that I managed a morning
sledging. Today we have about 3 inches, but quite wet (the ponds aren't
even covered). We had a slight dusting earlier in the winter, and that's
the lot. Pathetic!
--
Kay
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 17:20, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...

snip What a drama! That's the weather to light a big log fire, get out
the
books
and put the feet up.

Well, if we had a fireplace I would love to do just that) I am in a
Scottish New Town and we don't have that option)

Sorry - tactless of me. I'm a real 'fireplace' person so my natural
instinct is to think of log (or coal) fires on damp and cold days. Every
house I've ever lived in, I light a fire in the grate as the first thing I
do on moving in. There must be some pagan Celt in me somewhere!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-03-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 17:46, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

David just took a proper measurement.
We have 7.5 inches of snow

Other than in ski resorts and drifts in lanes, I don't think I've even
*seen* 7.5 inches of snow!

Oh I have !!! :-(

snip

It was the worst winter since 1963 when 4/5 days of near constant
snowfall gave 3 foot in depth with drifts to 15 feet in places. We
lived in Dudley on the side of a hill in a cul-de-sac and it took the
residents several days to dig the road clear. Watching cars trying to
climb up the hill was a wonderful pastime and school was cancelled for
a couple of weeks.

snip

How could I forget that winter - my only excuse is that I must have blotted
it from memory. I was at school in West Malvern and it was a bitterly cold
and dreadful time. I remember now that there were fears that grocery etc.
vans wouldn't get up the steep approaches to W. Malvern and that we hearty,
hockey-playing, walk before breakfast girls wouldn't get fed! I recall
taking my clothes for the next morning into bed with me so they, at least,
would be warm when I got dressed. It may be the only time in my life that I
was glad my mother insisted I had the full school uniform list - dreaded
and awful vests and all. ;-) In fact, the before breakfast walk was
abandoned that year and never again took place in the winter terms, thank
heaven.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-03-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 18:03, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 12/3/06 14:37, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

David just took a proper measurement.

We have 7.5 inches of snow

Other than in ski resorts and drifts in lanes, I don't think I've even
*seen* 7.5 inches of snow!

Not even in your youth? I can remember walking up to the higher parts of
town with the snow well above my knees, and that was when I was in my
teens.

Yes, David's reminded me of that, as you'll see in my reply. I really had
wiped it from the memory banks! When we couldn't play games - which we did
every single afternoon other than Saturdays (watching or playing in matches)
and Sundays - the normal form of exercise was to make us take a walk up the
hills to or towards, the Beacon. From what I recall of that winter, none of
us went anywhere. We couldn't play hockey or lacrosse, we couldn't walk up
the Malvern hills, we couldn't do *anything* and went nearly stir crazy. It
does make me think that today's young (creak, groan of ancient granny speak)
would find it a blissful excuse to sit in front of the telly or play some
whizzy game. We didn't see tv at all during term unless it was something
suitably educational and relevant to what we were studying in e.g. English
or History. Being a voracious reader then and now, I found it a wonderful
time to bury myself in a book and get as close to the faint heat the ancient
radiators pumped out as I could.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:53:21 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:20:57 GMT, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
nvalid...
On 12/3/06 15:18, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
snip

Other than in ski resorts and drifts in lanes, I don't think
I've
even
*seen* 7.5 inches of snow! It's turned very much colder here,
so
won't be
surprised if we do have snow. What we have at present is a real
"Dartmoor
clag"!

I can't ever remember seeing this kind of snow here either! We
went
the resto we usually go for Sunday lunch and we had to be dug
out.
We
have a 4x4 too!!!

What a drama! That's the weather to light a big log fire, get out
the
books
and put the feet up.

Well, if we had a fireplace I would love to do just that) I am
in
Scottish New Town and we don't have that option)

You could torch the house in the traditional new town manner.

LOL maybe.. but we still need somewhere to sleep)

The local community centre is a popular choice, unless it's still full
of the thousands the BBC reported couldn't get home after the discos
closed :-)

Pah.. I don't care about them, so long as I get my ain wee beddie))

Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 12/3/06 17:20, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...

snip What a drama! That's the weather to light a big log fire,
get out
the
books
and put the feet up.

Well, if we had a fireplace I would love to do just that) I am
in a
Scottish New Town and we don't have that option)

Sorry - tactless of me. I'm a real 'fireplace' person so my natural
instinct is to think of log (or coal) fires on damp and cold days.
Every
house I've ever lived in, I light a fire in the grate as the first
thing I
do on moving in. There must be some pagan Celt in me somewhere!

Well I always did this until I moved here

Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Ophelia
writes

David just took a proper measurement.

We have 7.5 inches of snow

Blimey O, I have only just seen this. Have you got plenty of single
malt ?
--
June Hughes
Old 12-03-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes

David just took a proper measurement.

We have 7.5 inches of snow

Blimey O, I have only just seen this. Have you got plenty of single
malt ?

We do.. but more to the point we have lots of gin too))

Old 12-03-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 20:15, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 12/3/06 17:46, in article
,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

David just took a proper measurement.
We have 7.5 inches of snow

It was the worst winter since 1963 when 4/5 days of near constant
snowfall gave 3 foot in depth with drifts to 15 feet in places. We
lived in Dudley on the side of a hill in a cul-de-sac and it took the
residents several days to dig the road clear. Watching cars trying to
climb up the hill was a wonderful pastime and school was cancelled for
a couple of weeks.

Of course, in 1963 schools weren't closed, even if not everyone could
get there. Schools seem to close ever so easily nowadays.

snip

How could I forget that winter - my only excuse is that I must have blotted
it from memory. I was at school in West Malvern and it was a bitterly cold
and dreadful time.

Whereas younger than you and not living at my school, I remember it as a
wonderful time - every day my mother would pick me and my friend up from
school bringing the sledges with her, and we'd have an hour or so
sledging on the common, down all the bumps and over the frozen pond at
the bottom.

I just remember being so, so cold. Other memories of school days there were
of misty morning when bits of the gardens and surrounding countryside rose
like islands out of the fog. I felt then almost as if I were at home with
the sea around me and the whole place was magical. Despite the cold I was
very happy there! I don't think I was conscious of it at the time but my
parents couldn't have chosen a more inappropriate location for an island
girl. I wonder how much further one can be from the sea?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk