Old 09-03-2006, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Default "Killing Everything" - Advice Please

Hi,

I have area of garden which has been cleared, a "weed stop" membrane laid
and then covered with slate chippings.

Obviously, I didn't clear all the plants & bulbs properly or I don't have
enough chippings as numerous plants/weeds & bulbs are
fighting their way through the membrane and the chippings.

Can anybody advise what I can spray the entire area with the kill off
everything??
Ideally I'm looking for something relatively cheap as I presume I would need
to use it a number of times.

Thanks

Andy

Old 09-03-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Andy wrote:
Hi,

I have area of garden which has been cleared, a "weed stop" membrane
laid and then covered with slate chippings.

Obviously, I didn't clear all the plants & bulbs properly or I don't
have enough chippings as numerous plants/weeds & bulbs are
fighting their way through the membrane and the chippings.

Can anybody advise what I can spray the entire area with the kill off
everything??
Ideally I'm looking for something relatively cheap as I presume I
would need to use it a number of times.

Oh dear! This is one of those "If you want to get there you shouldn't
start from here" situations! I'm afraid there really is no free lunch in
gardening. The best thing is, if it's humanly possible, to strip back
your membrane and treat the area thoroughly with a total killer: a
glyphosate preparation will do it, and will be inactivated as a
herbicide on contact with clay particles in the soil. (I hate
recommending chemicals, but it doesn't sound as though hand weeding and
hoeing is your thing.) You'd better wait a month after treatment to see
if it needs a second application for any tough customers and new
seedlings. But the bonus is that you can dig out the bulbs and plant
them elsewhe pity to waste them.

The cheapest weedkiller is sodium chlorate; but that persists in the
soil, and may be washed into areas where you don't want it. With that,
you'll certainly need more than one application. For glyphosate, look
for the cheapest brand: probably the DIY shed's own label.

If you really can't strip the area, you could try watering a good dose
of chlorate onto the membrane (I assume it's a meshy thing, not a solid
sheet of plastic) and hope enough of it trickles through. A lot will be
trapped on top of the membrane, and should wash through when it rains. I
doubt if glyphosate would be any good applied this way.

You might perhaps try just ignoring the problem, hoping too little light
will get through for the weeds to prosper; but I wouldn't bet on it.
Good luck!

--
Mike.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Andy" contains these words:

I have area of garden which has been cleared, a "weed stop" membrane laid
and then covered with slate chippings.

Obviously, I didn't clear all the plants & bulbs properly or I don't have
enough chippings as numerous plants/weeds & bulbs are
fighting their way through the membrane and the chippings.

Can anybody advise what I can spray the entire area with the kill off
everything??
Ideally I'm looking for something relatively cheap as I presume I
would need
to use it a number of times.

In a word, glyphosate.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:46:26 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

|The cheapest weedkiller is sodium chlorate; but that persists in the
|soil,

Only for a year.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are

Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

wrote:

The cheapest weedkiller is sodium chlorate; but that persists in the
soil,

Only for a year.

Isn't that long enough for you?

--