GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/138764-rainwater-diverters-cast-iron-downpipes.html)

Crazy Dog 10-03-2006 09:14 PM

Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

I'm looking for a rainwater diverter for a 2-1/2" OD cast iron downpipe. All
I've found, so far, state either "suitable for PVC" or "not suitable for
cast iron."

Replacing the old downpipe would be a last resort.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a suitable diverter?

--
Crazy Dog
Birmingham

June Hughes 10-03-2006 10:05 PM

Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

In message , Crazy Dog
writes
I'm looking for a rainwater diverter for a 2-1/2" OD cast iron downpipe. All
I've found, so far, state either "suitable for PVC" or "not suitable for
cast iron."

Replacing the old downpipe would be a last resort.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a suitable diverter?

ISTR Rusty having an intriguing home-made system a couple of years ago?
--
June Hughes

JennyC 11-03-2006 01:36 PM

"Crazy Dog" wrote in message
I'm looking for a rainwater diverter for a 2-1/2" OD cast iron downpipe. All
I've found, so far, state either "suitable for PVC" or "not suitable for
cast iron."

Replacing the old downpipe would be a last resort.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a suitable diverter?
Crazy Dog
Birmingham

Cast iron look alike :~)
http://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/gu...und.php?page=3

Jenny

Rusty Hinge 2 12-03-2006 03:30 PM

Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Crazy Dog
writes
I'm looking for a rainwater diverter for a 2-1/2" OD cast iron
downpipe. All
I've found, so far, state either "suitable for PVC" or "not suitable for
cast iron."

Replacing the old downpipe would be a last resort.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a suitable diverter?

ISTR Rusty having an intriguing home-made system a couple of years ago?

But with plastic pipes.

Using my methods on iron pipes would require serious outlay on special
drill-bits, as cast-iron blunts even HSS very quickly.

I did have some stellite-tipped drill-bits which were quite good, but
you needed a bench-drill with a hefty press, as the idea of the stellite
tips was to soften the iron by friction, thus heating it close to its
melting-point, when it would begin to go through it like I go through
cheese.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Nick Maclaren 12-03-2006 03:39 PM

Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Using my methods on iron pipes would require serious outlay on special
drill-bits, as cast-iron blunts even HSS very quickly.

I did have some stellite-tipped drill-bits which were quite good, but
you needed a bench-drill with a hefty press, as the idea of the stellite
tips was to soften the iron by friction, thus heating it close to its
melting-point, when it would begin to go through it like I go through
cheese.

And do not be tempted to use a hammer drill to speed things up,
on the grounds of preserving both your dental fillings and the pipe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty Hinge 2 12-03-2006 04:43 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Using my methods on iron pipes would require serious outlay on special
drill-bits, as cast-iron blunts even HSS very quickly.

I did have some stellite-tipped drill-bits which were quite good, but
you needed a bench-drill with a hefty press, as the idea of the stellite
tips was to soften the iron by friction, thus heating it close to its
melting-point, when it would begin to go through it like I go through
cheese.

And do not be tempted to use a hammer drill to speed things up,
on the grounds of preserving both your dental fillings and the pipe.

Not to mention the integrity of your eyesight.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

June Hughes 12-03-2006 09:17 PM

Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Using my methods on iron pipes would require serious outlay on special
drill-bits, as cast-iron blunts even HSS very quickly.

I did have some stellite-tipped drill-bits which were quite good, but
you needed a bench-drill with a hefty press, as the idea of the stellite
tips was to soften the iron by friction, thus heating it close to its
melting-point, when it would begin to go through it like I go through
cheese.

And do not be tempted to use a hammer drill to speed things up,
on the grounds of preserving both your dental fillings and the pipe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That sounds too much like Marathon Man for my liking.
--
June Hughes