Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Alnus rubra

Following Janet's recommendation of this tree, I'm very pleased to say that
I have found one at the Duchy nursery in Cornwall, which also supplied us
with some Populus balsamifera. Very satisfactory result! And I *think* I've
found a source of Acer Coonara Pygmy - fingers crossed!
Our local branch of Morrisons, in Totnes, has some Alders planted in the car
park and one, in particular, has enormously long catkins - every year I
promise myself that I'll try to get some seeds from it and this year I
really must kick myself to remember to do it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-03-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
Following Janet's recommendation of this tree, I'm very pleased to say

that
I have found one at the Duchy nursery in Cornwall, which also supplied us
with some Populus balsamifera. Very satisfactory result! And I *think*

I've
found a source of Acer Coonara Pygmy - fingers crossed!
Our local branch of Morrisons, in Totnes, has some Alders planted in the

car
park and one, in particular, has enormously long catkins - every year I
promise myself that I'll try to get some seeds from it and this year I
really must kick myself to remember to do it!

~~~~~~~~
Alnus is very variable from seed. Almost perverseley so. Much better to
try for a graft or bud. [Have never tried cuttings] If the Morrison
specimen is of glutinosa origin then it will not grow from seed anyway.
Beware of the stickiness of the balsamifera. Impossible to remove from
clothes without petrol and annoying on hands etc. Every little piece roots
with abandom and grows rapidly.
I have a Populus lasiocarpus [originally from Westonbirt] with leaves
so large that rhubarb blushes and covers itself with bundles of cotton wool.
This is quite rare and one of the relatively few things I can grow!!
Best Wishes Brian.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
[...]

so large that rhubarb blushes.~~~~~~~~~~~ My father once said that he had

told me a million times not to exaggerate~~and then gave me a red ear for
laughing. I don't think he ever saw the funny side.!
Best Wishes Brian.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-03-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
[...]

I was surprised that you reckoned that seed from Alnus glutinosa
wouldn't succeed as I have at least ten trees which I grew happily from
seed without realising I was doing anything which shouldn't work!
Janet G
Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Our local branch of Morrisons, in Totnes, has some Alders planted in the
car
park and one, in particular, has enormously long catkins - every year I
promise myself that I'll try to get some seeds from it and this year I
really must kick myself to remember to do it!

If you do, you will need to inoculate the seed-tray with soil taken
from beneath an alder around its roots.
Alder seeds will only germinate in soil which contains the right
bio-whatsits. I'm hoping David P can supply the right explanation :-)

Janet

The Court heard how the woman, who would only identify herself as S, fell
onto the bonnet of a car from the branch of a tree.
She failed to explain why she had a wheelbarrow full of soil excavated from
the base of the tree but was heard to mutter bio-whatsits .
The case was adjourned pending psychiatric reports.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message 4412c867$1_1@mk-nntp-

Snip.
I was surprised that you reckoned that seed from Alnus glutinosa
wouldn't succeed as I have at least ten trees which I grew happily from
seed without realising I was doing anything which shouldn't work!
Janet G

~~~~~
You are quite correct. I was thinking in terms of the named vars. that
I have tried and failed. Laciniata & Imperialis etc.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Our local branch of Morrisons, in Totnes, has some Alders planted in the

car
park and one, in particular, has enormously long catkins - every year I
promise myself that I'll try to get some seeds from it and this year I
really must kick myself to remember to do it!

If you do, you will need to inoculate the seed-tray with soil taken
from beneath an alder around its roots.
Alder seeds will only germinate in soil which contains the right
bio-whatsits. I'm hoping David P can supply the right explanation :-)
Janet.

~~~~~~~~
This inoculant is only really necessary in boggy conditions. Normal
seed compost suffices otherwise for germination and growth. The symbiotic
fungus [miccorhiza] would help in difficult situations.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Hi Sacha,

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:13:47 +0000
Sacha wrote:

Following Janet's recommendation of this tree, I'm very pleased to say that
I have found one at the Duchy nursery in Cornwall, which also supplied us
with some Populus balsamifera. Very satisfactory result! And I *think* I've
found a source of Acer Coonara Pygmy - fingers crossed!

Meant to reply to the earlier thread. There's a pretty variation
on A. rubra: A. rubra f. pinnatisecta. Just slightly smaller, and
the leaves quite deeply incised with pointed lobes. Very pretty
effect. Might be nice to mix one in a copse.

Would it be indiscreet to ask what your source for Coonara
Pygmy is? As you can probably guess I'm forever trying to
find good sources for Acers.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Sacha wrote:

Following Janet's recommendation of this tree, I'm very pleased to say that
I have found one at the Duchy nursery in Cornwall, which also supplied us
with some Populus balsamifera. Very satisfactory result! And I *think* I've
found a source of Acer Coonara Pygmy - fingers crossed!

Meant to reply to the earlier thread. There's a pretty variation
on A. rubra: A. rubra f. pinnatisecta. Just slightly smaller, and
the leaves quite deeply incised with pointed lobes. Very pretty
effect. Might be nice to mix one in a copse.

Thank you. I'll mention that one to Ray. We've found a place for the Alnus
rubra that is not where we had intended but will mean that it's more easily
seen from the house.

Would it be indiscreet to ask what your source for Coonara
Pygmy is? As you can probably guess I'm forever trying to
find good sources for Acers.

No problem - the reason I didn't type it in before is that I was upstairs
and the piece of paper was downstairs!
I have found the following: THE BODWEN NURSERY
Pothole St Austell Cornwall PL26 7DW
E-mail:
Tel: 01726 883855 Fax: 0870 130 6028
and the Duchy gave us:
Mallet Court Nursery, Taunton, Somerset 01823 481493
and
PMA Plant Specialities, Taunton, Somerset. 01823 480774
I haven't tried any of them except Mallet Court who haven't replied.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alnus maximowiczii Sacha[_10_] United Kingdom 2 16-01-2013 03:01 PM
How do I keep Alnus pollen viable for months? Michael Bell United Kingdom 0 26-03-2010 10:30 AM
Plumeria Rubra Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 06-08-2007 11:02 PM
Alnus Sacha United Kingdom 19 03-03-2006 02:06 PM
is this Rubra? Tippi Ponds 0 14-06-2004 05:09 AM