Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Default Does anyone know the best way to remove green algae from my decking?????

Hi,

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking - it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that will destroy the decking. Please help!

By the way, there are some strange postings on here, I expected it to be all about keeping caterpillers off your cauliflowers and there seems to be a strange thread about the battle of the classes/sexes/post-menopausal stalkers which I was fascinated to read! Sara xx
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"saralove999" wrote in message

Hi,

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to
gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking
- it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is
very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a
scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore
knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I
might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

Powerwasher or elbow grease :~)
A washer will be OK unless the wood is rotten
Only scrub after prolong rainfall. This softens the algae

By the way, there are some strange postings on here, I expected it to
be all about keeping caterpillers off your cauliflowers and there seems
to be a strange thread about the battle of the
classes/sexes/post-menopausal stalkers which I was fascinated to read!
Sara xx

This flares up from time to time. Take no notice, it will blow over :~)
Jenny

Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JennyC wrote:
"saralove999" wrote in message

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to
gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking
- it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is
very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a
scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore
knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I
might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

Powerwasher or elbow grease :~)
A washer will be OK unless the wood is rotten
Only scrub after prolong rainfall. This softens the algae

Alternatively, soak the decking a couple of times a few hours apart
before starting. I don't go in for decking, but paving algae is best
removed with a bit of washing-up liquid in the water and a handful
of sharp sand under a stiff brush.

By the way, there are some strange postings on here, I expected it to
be all about keeping caterpillers off your cauliflowers and there seems
to be a strange thread about the battle of the
classes/sexes/post-menopausal stalkers which I was fascinated to read!

This flares up from time to time. Take no notice, it will blow over :~)

Yes, indeed. You will also see an interesting range of comments
on all sorts of topic, more of which are reliable than appear at
first sight. Ah. London. That's the place that I said would be
much improved by a few woolly mammoths and the odd rhinocerous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-03-2006, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , saralove999
writes

Hi,

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to
gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking
- it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is
very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a
scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore
knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I
might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

You could hire a Karcher or similar power washer. Alternatively, you
can buy one in B & Q or similar. They are useful for all sorts of jobs
and will clean up your wood in very little time, provided it is not
rotten.
By the way, there are some strange postings on here, I expected it to
be all about keeping caterpillers off your cauliflowers and there seems
to be a strange thread about the battle of the
classes/sexes/post-menopausal stalkers which I was fascinated to read!
Sara xx

Don't take any notice of the post-menopausal stalkers. I wouldn't say
too much about them though, as they may just try getting you expelled

--
June Hughes
Old 13-03-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

saralove999 wrote:
(snip)
I think I
might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

I use my power washer on everything (to which I get totally obsessed
with - once I start I won't stop even if my face is frekled with mud
and my neighbours start standing on their front steps, arms folded with
a frowing face on. It's such a rewarding activity ;o). I use it on my
wooden benches and tables, decking, flags, concrete, stone, granite
etc. and even go around my ivy on the walls. Depending on your position
(far or away) from the items you want to clean, I've found you can
pretty much be 'gentle' (and can even make pretty paterns if you're
creative).

My advice, wear goggles and wellies. You're going to get soaked (which
is also very much part of the fun). Don't use chemicals. There's no
need. You'll only damage your environment because the algea/moss will
return next winter anyway.

Old 13-03-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Martin wrote:

How about all the water you waste? Cif removes algae.

Ho bum. Good point. Forgot about the water. Always do. Right. Elbow
grease then, a bucket, a good brush and hoping Sara's decking's not too
grand.

But not Cif. You perhaps would. I won't and never will. Methyl, propyl,
triclosan, diethyl phthalate , ethyl and butyl esters of
para-hydroxybenzoic acid not to mention 20 more chemicals in it is
frankly not a good idea. In my garden that is )

Old 13-03-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

La Puce wrote:

saralove999 wrote:
(snip)
I think I

might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

I use my power washer on everything (to which I get totally obsessed
with - once I start I won't stop even if my face is frekled with mud

My advice, wear goggles and wellies. You're going to get soaked (which
is also very much part of the fun). Don't use chemicals. There's no
need. You'll only damage your environment because the algea/moss will
return next winter anyway.

The non-ionic surfactant that is usually sold for pressure washing isn't
safe to drink, but it is relatively benign in the environment. Lots of
other common household products are much worse.

And using much larger volumes of pure drinking water with brute force is
probably at least as environmentally damaging as using a wetting agent.

If you can live with the smell for a while, spraying the decking with a
dilute solution of Jeyes fluid (or a real algicide) will work. Decking
is not a great choice in the UK since it rains too much. My N facing
paving always gets coated in green algae during the winter months.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-03-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 13/3/06 12:20, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:

snip

And using much larger volumes of pure drinking water with brute force is
probably at least as environmentally damaging as using a wetting agent.

If you can live with the smell for a while, spraying the decking with a
dilute solution of Jeyes fluid (or a real algicide) will work. Decking
is not a great choice in the UK since it rains too much. My N facing
paving always gets coated in green algae during the winter months.

I haven't tried it myself but I think there's a danger that the grain of the
wood would get lifted by the power spray and if there's any caulking, that
could be damaged, too. I agree with you about decking in this country.
While it can look very attractive in the right place when it's new, it can
get that green and tired look all too quickly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-03-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Snip excerpts from archives

Keep spreading that manure, June. It's the nearest you'll ever get to
being a gardener.

Janet

What a strange post Janet. Most of us are gardeners, including me. You
really don't know when to give up, do you?
--
June Hughes
Old 13-03-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 13/3/06 12:20, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:

snip

And using much larger volumes of pure drinking water with brute force is
probably at least as environmentally damaging as using a wetting agent.

If you can live with the smell for a while, spraying the decking with a
dilute solution of Jeyes fluid (or a real algicide) will work. Decking
is not a great choice in the UK since it rains too much. My N facing
paving always gets coated in green algae during the winter months.

I haven't tried it myself but I think there's a danger that the grain of the
wood would get lifted by the power spray

Ummmm .......doesn't the grain go all the way throught the planks ?
Jenny :~)

Old 14-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralove999
Hi,

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking - it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that will destroy the decking. Please help!

By the way, there are some strange postings on here, I expected it to be all about keeping caterpillers off your cauliflowers and there seems to be a strange thread about the battle of the classes/sexes/post-menopausal stalkers which I was fascinated to read! Sara xx
Thanks very much for all your helpful comments - I think I will go with the power washer, being a lazy sort it sounds the most effortless way of removing the green gunge and I like to try to be conscious of the environment so dont fancy bunging loads of noxious chemicals on it. Sara x
Old 14-03-2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

saralove999 wrote:
Thanks very much for all your helpful comments - I think I will go with
the power washer, being a lazy sort it sounds the most effortless way of
removing the green gunge and I like to try to be conscious of the
environment so dont fancy bunging loads of noxious chemicals on it.

HOORAY!! Sold another power washer rub hands

Actually, I don't sell them ) But you'll have a lot of fun with it
and wear sensible shoes or it'll remove your nail polish ... !