Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
EN

Default Inspiration please - round bed

Good snowy afternoon

I wonder if anyone could come up with some creative ideas for anything we
could do with a round bed in the middle of the lawn. It's about 2 metres
across, raised about 2 brick height (though it's actually surrounded by dry
stones). In previous years I've stuck a shrub in the middle with various
odd things around but nothing seems to quite work - or even survive!. The
main problem I think, is that it's in a part of the garden that's about
1000ft above sea level, very exposed to wind and sun from every direction,
Pennines. And a long way from the water supply so it gets very dry in the
summer.

I've dug in some nice new soil taken from somewhere else, and a big bag of
rotted cow manure, and - well, now what? We did think of just getting rid
of it and seeding over, but it's potentially a nice little feature next to a
footpath that goes through that part of the garden, and could look nice for
ramblers. There are a few old bulbs, probably daffs, struggling through but
that's all.

Thanks very much

Liz

Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 18:12, in article , "EN"
wrote:

[...]

If you made it into a pond, would it be very difficult to top up with a
hosepipe? Failing that, how about a bench seat and a collection of
interesting stones, to be topped up by everyone rambling past. Sort of a
'start your own cairn' thing? If you have money to spare, I'd install
something by Joe Smith - I love his work which is one of those shown here,
the slate urn:
http://tinyurl.com/s4esu
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

EN wrote:
[...]

Sounds as though you could usefully start with your boundaries rather
than the bed in the middle. How about a good wind-break? Geoffrey Smith,
in a similar situation, says he couldn't garden without his Leylandii
hedge to create a micro-climate. I'm sure you could put together
something more interesting and natural-looking than Mr Leyland's
uinfortunate discovery: if this interests you, try Buckingham Nurseries'
website,
http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/guide-h-js.html

Even in the short term, Buckingham's site suggests trees for particular
situations, and has some ideas for a windy position. To my surprise,
they mention Philadelphus as wind-resistant; but it would look a bit
feeble on its own in the winter. If you don't insist on height, heaths
and heathers will do in such a position. If you can make it look
natural, a dirty great chunk of the local stone will flourish in the
middle: they're generally free of pests and diseases, don't seem to mind
an exposed site, and never need pruning. If the pocket is deep enough, a
statue?

--
Mike.

Need pots inspiration. chris French United Kingdom 4 09-02-2011 10:30 AM
Inspiration needed gwildor Gardening 2 05-03-2008 11:38 PM
Real waterfalls for inspiration. [email protected] Ponds 2 10-04-2006 05:41 PM
4 bed rotation to 3 bed removing brassicas for space? Broadback United Kingdom 1 16-03-2005 06:52 AM
Inspiration for garden design needed Nigel Walker United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 05:32 PM