GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaf Discolouration - help? (0/1) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/13890-leaf-discolouration-help-0-1-a.html)

Paul 05-04-2003 07:20 PM

Leaf Discolouration - help? (0/1)

Has anyone any idea why the leaves on my honeysuckle and jasmine
appear discoloured? they appear pale green in the space between the
veins, and the plants do not seem to be growing very strongly.
Paul Reed
Northern England

Nick Maclaren 05-04-2003 08:08 PM

In article , Paul wrote:
Has anyone any idea why the leaves on my honeysuckle and jasmine
appear discoloured? they appear pale green in the space between the
veins, and the plants do not seem to be growing very strongly.

It could be many things, but one of the more likely is waterlogging.
Is your soil heavy (e.g. clay) and do you get puddles for a long
time after heavy rain?

If you are on acid soil, it could be magnesium deficiency, which
is easily tested and cured by scattering a handful of Epsom salts
around the roots. That does little harm, anyway.

Other deficiency diseases are less likely, as are sap-sucking pests
on outdoor plants at this time of year. They commonly cause those
symptoms later, and on conservatory plants at any time of year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.