Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 AM
shazzbat

Default Discovery apple tree

I've recently been given an apple tree and all I know is it's a discovery.
I've planted it on the allotment, and am assuming the various other apple
trees around the vicinity will mean no pollination problems, but I'd like to
know

1 Is discovery a cooker or an eater?

2 what time of year will it flower/fruit?

TIA
Shazzbat

Old 06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

I've recently been given an apple tree and all I know is it's a discovery.
I've planted it on the allotment, and am assuming the various other apple
trees around the vicinity will mean no pollination problems, but I'd like to
know

1 Is discovery a cooker or an eater?

2 what time of year will it flower/fruit?

TIA
Shazzbat

It's an excellent early eater. It will fruit in mid August onwards. It's
a colourful apple with quite a lot of red flush on it.

Janet G
Old 06-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , shazzbat
writes
I've recently been given an apple tree and all I know is it's a discovery.
I've planted it on the allotment, and am assuming the various other apple
trees around the vicinity will mean no pollination problems,

Most likely yes.

but I'd like to
know

1 Is discovery a cooker or an eater?

Eater.

2 what time of year will it flower/fruit?

It very early fruiting, we don't grow it, but it seems to be the
earliest English apple in the shops - arriving in late August IIRC.

The fruit doesn't seem to keep well, an apple to pick and eat it would
seem.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 06-04-2003, 06:56 PM
bnd777

Its an eater
Mine is about to flower
Its reliable and a fairly heavy cropper
i have loads of varieties so not sure what its pollinator is
The apples are smallish with red/pink skin and red tinge to flesh
They are very sweet and by beg of August generally the wasps sure know it
Earwigs start by making a hole near the stalk and the wasps carry on
My grandkids love the apples which really need eating off the tree or kept
in cold storage as they soon loose their crispnes