Old 07-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Robert Davies

Default When to replant cannas

Last autumn I dug up all my canna bulb/rhizomes and stored them in the
garage because I read that this would help get them started more
quickly this year than leaving them in the ground. Now they're just
starting to put out some green shoots. Should I plant them out or
will I get better results if I wait till the shoots are a few inches
long? Until then should I keep them in the dark or bring them into the
light? And should they be kept dry or sprayed with water? Any advice
would be appreciated.

Robert
Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 PM
JennyC

"Robert Davies" wrote in message
Last autumn I dug up all my canna bulb/rhizomes and stored them in

the
garage because I read that this would help get them started more
quickly this year than leaving them in the ground. Now they're just
starting to put out some green shoots. Should I plant them out or
will I get better results if I wait till the shoots are a few inches
long? Until then should I keep them in the dark or bring them into

the
light? And should they be kept dry or sprayed with water? Any advice
would be appreciated.

Robert

For what it's worth, I grow mine in pots.........

I cut them down in okt.nov and bring them into the GH or a frost free
shed. Mine are starting to spout now too, but I will wait until about
May before putting them outside (just in case the frost catches them)

Maybe you could pot them up to get them started and plant out later ?
Jenny

Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 AM
shazzbat

"Robert Davies" wrote in message
Last autumn I dug up all my canna bulb/rhizomes and stored them in the
garage because I read that this would help get them started more
quickly this year than leaving them in the ground. Now they're just
starting to put out some green shoots. Should I plant them out or
will I get better results if I wait till the shoots are a few inches
long? Until then should I keep them in the dark or bring them into the
light? And should they be kept dry or sprayed with water? Any advice
would be appreciated.

Robert

What area are you in? here near bournemouth ours stay in the ground over
winter, mostly because I didn't originally know that they shouldn't. They
have always come back for the last 5 yrs. I have some in pots on the
allotment as I divided them last autumn in order to have some on the
allotment, these are in pots outdoors and seem to be OK, they are shooting
up and are now about 3" tall, despite recent frosts. I don't know what
variety they are though, are there frost hardy ones, anybody know, or have I
just been lucky?

Shazzbat

Old 08-04-2003, 11:08 AM

Mine are in pots. I brought some inside last autumn, some outside were
covered with fleece, and the other outdoor ones were just left alone. Inside
ones fared best and are now green and growing. Outside fleeced ones are
showing signs of life. Outside non-protected ones are still sleeping but I'm
hopefull.

All in Suffolk, btw.

Also, I took some seeds from the cannas last year, planted them a few weeks
ago and now have a number of new plants about 8 cm tall and growing
nicely....

Best,

- h