GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141250-ideas-cheap-allotment-paths.html)

Mel 17-03-2006 09:37 AM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

Does anyone have any suggestions for making inexpensive paths for my
allotment. I don't fancy using old carpets because I've read that they can
leak toxins into the soil. Gravel and bark chippings (but I suspect these
might be expensive, yes)?

Ideas gratefully received, thanks.

June Hughes 17-03-2006 09:45 AM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

In message , Mel
writes
Does anyone have any suggestions for making inexpensive paths for my
allotment. I don't fancy using old carpets because I've read that they can
leak toxins into the soil. Gravel and bark chippings (but I suspect these
might be expensive, yes)?

Ideas gratefully received, thanks.

Paving stones from B&Q are reasonably cheap.
--
June Hughes

La Puce 17-03-2006 10:32 AM

June Hughes wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for making inexpensive paths for my
allotment. I don't fancy using old carpets because I've read that they can
leak toxins into the soil. Gravel and bark chippings (but I suspect these
might be expensive, yes)?
Ideas gratefully received, thanks.

Paving stones from B&Q are reasonably cheap.

I use old planks and repeat walking up and down the path eventually
compact the soil. I've started raising beds, so the paths get defined
in this way. I use carpets too on occasion and cardboards (lots of it
under fruit bushes).

Tim C. 17-03-2006 10:42 AM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

Following up to "La Puce" :

and cardboards (lots of it under fruit bushes).

Works a treat that does.
I discovered a bumble-bee nest last summer under the cardboard I'd put
under the redcurrants. :-)
--
Tim C.

John McMillan 17-03-2006 12:15 PM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

In article , "Mel"
wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for making inexpensive paths for my
allotment. I don't fancy using old carpets because I've read that they can
leak toxins into the soil. Gravel and bark chippings (but I suspect these
might be expensive, yes)?

Ideas gratefully received, thanks.

Well, it depends on the look you want and perhaps what you want to do
and probably the soil. Gravel isn't that expensive
but most allotmenters don't bother. Old housebricks laid rectangular
or herringbone work well. Do you want to be able to run a wheelbarrow
across it? And will the barrow be heavily laden? And is the soil heavy
clay?

If you really want to see an interesting allotment, I can highly
recommend Don Witton's allotment at Harthill, near Sheffield.
Open day 7 May 13:00-16:00. he grows only hardy euphorbias on it
and all the paths are mde from crushed slate recycled from roofs!

davej 17-03-2006 05:22 PM

"Mel" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions for making inexpensive paths for my
allotment. I don't fancy using old carpets because I've read that they
can
leak toxins into the soil. Gravel and bark chippings (but I suspect these
might be expensive, yes)?

Ideas gratefully received, thanks.

If you can access a quiet shredder you can make your own shredded bark and
maybe earn something for tidying other peoples hedges/shrubs/trees.

H Ryder 17-03-2006 05:26 PM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

Have you got a garden shredder? If so you could use shredding and, over
time, they woudl create a path (this is what we did but we did have a lot of
twiggy waste).

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Sla#s 17-03-2006 06:57 PM

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Have you got a garden shredder? If so you could use shredding and, over
time, they woudl create a path (this is what we did but we did have a lot
of
twiggy waste).

Yes, I use "Winter" pruning's - all the stuff without leaves - on my Veg
patch paths..

Slatts

mad man 18-03-2006 07:19 AM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

Traditionally around my area, all the paths have been built up over
the years

This is pebbles, bricks etc that have been dug up from the allotment,
or have been raked up to the sides during the raking process of seed
sowing.

I know it takes years, but its free, and you never now what to do with
the pebbles, bricks etc.

Mel 18-03-2006 02:58 PM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I'll see what I can come up with on the
cheap!

Ta!

[email protected] 18-03-2006 05:06 PM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

The 'old folk' used to make cinder paths in kitchen gardens and on
allotments.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.couk
South Devon

Lee 27-03-2006 03:39 PM

Ideas for Cheap Allotment Paths

Try 'Arsenic Sand'. This is the waste product left over after Arsenic
has been removed from Arsenopyrite or 'Mispickle'. Dont be alarmed, the
arsenic has been removed to leave mostly killas (slate/shale) and a
little degraded iron pyrite (rust).

It can normally be obtained free (just the cost of transporting it).
Just find an old copper mine and approach the land owner.

This fine 'sand' is easy to lay, compacts well, is free draining and
does a great job of inhibiting growth.

Lee