GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Too late to uproot and relocate Forsythia ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141263-too-late-uproot-relocate-forsythia.html)

Uncle-C 17-03-2006 07:24 PM

Too late to uproot and relocate Forsythia ?

Hi all ! I have a Forsythia which has slightly overgrown its space and
I want to uproot it and move it to another part of the garden which
will allow it sufficient room for future growth. However, it has begun
to flower ( not too much though ) and instinct tells me not to cause
the dear thing any stress / discomfort by uprooting it in its current
state and replanting it elsewhere. What do the Forsythia sages suggest
? :)

Thanks,
Uncle C

Dull , cold, gloomy and unspring-like High Wycombe.

ps: Are there any RHS gatherings / workshops in the South Bucks area ?

Brian 17-03-2006 08:46 PM

Too late to uproot and relocate Forsythia ?

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all ! I have a Forsythia which has slightly overgrown its space and
I want to uproot it and move it to another part of the garden which
will allow it sufficient room for future growth. However, it has begun
to flower ( not too much though ) and instinct tells me not to cause
the dear thing any stress / discomfort by uprooting it in its current
state and replanting it elsewhere. What do the Forsythia sages suggest
? :)

Thanks,
Uncle C

Dull , cold, gloomy and unspring-like High Wycombe.

ps: Are there any RHS gatherings / workshops in the South Bucks area ?

~~~~~~
Yes~ it's much too late to move a Forsythia without probable terminal
damage. Leave it till late autumn when all leaves have fallen.
Best Wishes Brian.

Brian 17-03-2006 08:53 PM

Too late to uproot and relocate Forsythia ?

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all ! I have a Forsythia which has slightly overgrown its space and
I want to uproot it and move it to another part of the garden which
will allow it sufficient room for future growth. However, it has begun
to flower ( not too much though ) and instinct tells me not to cause
the dear thing any stress / discomfort by uprooting it in its current
state and replanting it elsewhere. What do the Forsythia sages suggest
? :)

Thanks,
Uncle C

Dull , cold, gloomy and unspring-like High Wycombe.

ps: Are there any RHS gatherings / workshops in the South Bucks area ?

~~~~~~
Yes~ it's much too late to move a Forsythia without probable terminal
damage. Leave it till late autumn when all leaves have fallen.
Best Wishes Brian.

You could prune it back quite severely after flowering in a few weeks
time.