GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Crows? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141275-ot-crows.html)

Alan Holmes 18-03-2006 12:12 PM

OT Crows?

We have a pair of crows in the garden, as far as I remember I've never seen
them here before.

What do they feed on?

Alan

H Ryder 18-03-2006 12:37 PM

OT Crows?

We have a pair of crows in the garden, as far as I remember I've never
seen
them here before.

What do they feed on?

they will eat bread but their natural diet is carrion (by crow most people
mean a carrion crow, as opposed to a rook or jackdaw). They will also rob
nests and eat grain or roots but road kill is probably their staple :).

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

BAC 19-03-2006 08:11 PM

OT Crows?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have a pair of crows in the garden, as far as I remember I've never

seen
them here before.

What do they feed on?

Whatever's on offer! See
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/c...crow/index.asp

MaC 20-03-2006 10:30 PM

We have a pair of crows in the garden, as far as I remember I've never[/color]
seen[color=blue]
them here before.

What do they feed on?

I'm in central Scotland and round here they seem to thrive on whatever they find under the messy piles of grass clippings left behind by the Council lawnmowers on the playparks. I went to have a look once, there were black beetles, worms, slugs, leatherjackets, etc., all under the rows. It reminded me of turning over the seaweed on the high tide line on a beach, full of life.
MaC

JennyC 21-03-2006 05:53 AM

OT Crows?

"MaC" wrote in message

We have a pair of crows in the garden, as far as I remember I've
never seen them here before.

What do they feed on?

I'm in central Scotland and round here they seem to thrive on whatever
they find under the messy piles of grass clippings left behind by the
Council lawnmowers on the playparks. I went to have a look once, there
were black beetles, worms, slugs, leatherjackets, etc., all under the
rows. It reminded me of turning over the seaweed on the high tide line
on a beach, full of life.
MaC

http://www.jcrows.com/crowfct.htm has:
Crows are omnivorous. They eat whatever is available to them in their habitat
including insects, small amphibians and snakes, earthworms, eggs and nestling
birds, and clams, mussels, and other salt-water invertebrates. They also
scavenge carrion, garbage, and eat wild and cultivated fruit and vegetables

Jenny