GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Parsnips - how long do they go on for? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141309-parsnips-how-long-do-they-go.html)

Chris 19-03-2006 11:57 AM

Parsnips - how long do they go on for?

There are quite a few parsnips left in the garden - and I'm wondering
whether to dig them all now and give them away - or whether to leave
them in the ground a bit longer. How long should they be OK for?
--
Chris

Emery Davis 19-03-2006 01:28 PM

Parsnips - how long do they go on for?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:57:44 +0000
Chris ] wrote:

There are quite a few parsnips left in the garden - and I'm wondering
whether to dig them all now and give them away - or whether to leave
them in the ground a bit longer. How long should they be OK for?

I think in a normal year this would be about the limit. Usually
when they begin to put on a lot of top growth, they need pulling.

This year it's so cold, who knows? I pulled 4 giants this morning,
two for the mayor and a couple for the roast tonight. Mine are
still in great shape, so I'm not that hurried until it's time to
prep the garden. They are showing a bit of new green, though.

The keep a long time in a root cellar or veg bin of course, too.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Jeanne Stockdale 19-03-2006 01:59 PM

Parsnips - how long do they go on for?

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
There are quite a few parsnips left in the garden - and I'm wondering
whether to dig them all now and give them away - or whether to leave them
in the ground a bit longer. How long should they be OK for?
--
Chris

You can leave them until you need the ground but they will go woody in time.
If you can't eat them all, then make soup for the freezer - I make a parsnip
and coriander soup which seems to go down well

Jeanne