GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fan heaters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141347-fan-heaters.html)

Janet Tweedy 20-03-2006 10:14 AM

Fan heaters

Thanks to Jane (aka Moonrose) I am not about to buy a fan heater for the
greenhouse.
I like those with separate thermostats and fans for the summer but why
do they always show the heater up in the air?
Surely it's much more comfortable working in a nice warm greenhouse with
the warm air circulating around your legs rather than blasting your face
every time you turn round?
Anyway I thought warm air rose? So why put the heater by the roof?

Found a nice heater on
http://www.simplycontrol.com/catalog...ng/default.asp

seems cheaper for it's power than the hotbox ones though I suspect might
be a bit too big for an 8x10 Alton? Only want to keep the temperature
warm enough to help seedlings and cuttings along at this time of the
year and to keep frost out.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

Dave the exTrailer 20-03-2006 11:06 AM

Fan heaters

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:14:26 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Thanks to Jane (aka Moonrose) I am not about to buy a fan heater for the
greenhouse.
I like those with separate thermostats and fans for the summer but why
do they always show the heater up in the air?
Surely it's much more comfortable working in a nice warm greenhouse with
the warm air circulating around your legs rather than blasting your face
every time you turn round?
Anyway I thought warm air rose? So why put the heater by the roof?

Found a nice heater on
http://www.simplycontrol.com/catalog...ng/default.asp

seems cheaper for it's power than the hotbox ones though I suspect might
be a bit too big for an 8x10 Alton? Only want to keep the temperature
warm enough to help seedlings and cuttings along at this time of the
year and to keep frost out.

Ahhh Mrs Tweedy
Hows the pie machine?

Janet Tweedy 20-03-2006 02:00 PM

Fan heaters

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Thanks to Jane (aka Moonrose) I am not about to buy a fan heater for
the greenhouse.

That should read NOW not , not :)

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

JennyC 20-03-2006 04:24 PM

Fan heaters

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

How big is your GH Janet?

Mine is only 3 by 2 meters ..........and to keep it frost free I use one similar
to this:
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=599

Works well and you can shop around and probably get one even cheaper.

Jenny

Janet Tweedy 20-03-2006 05:17 PM

Fan heaters

In article , JennyC
writes
seems cheaper for it's power than the hotbox ones though I suspect might
be a bit too big for an 8x10 Alton?

How big is your GH Janet?

8 x 10 jenny but am going to get another one soon and will probably have
an 8x12 then .

janet

JennyC 20-03-2006 08:20 PM

Fan heaters

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes
seems cheaper for it's power than the hotbox ones though I suspect might
be a bit too big for an 8x10 Alton?

How big is your GH Janet?

8 x 10 jenny but am going to get another one soon and will probably have
an 8x12 then .
janet

feet, metres, yards, poles, rods?
Jenny :~)

Janet Tweedy 21-03-2006 10:09 AM

Fan heaters

In article , JennyC
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes
seems cheaper for it's power than the hotbox ones though I suspect might
be a bit too big for an 8x10 Alton?

How big is your GH Janet?

8 x 10 jenny but am going to get another one soon and will probably have
an 8x12 then .
janet

feet, metres, yards, poles, rods?
Jenny :~)

Sorry Jenny, that's how they are sold,
I mean feet, though metres would be helpful :)

Janet Tweedy 21-03-2006 02:59 PM

Fan heaters

In article , jane
writes

~Thanks to Jane (aka Moonrose) I am not about to buy a fan heater for
~the greenhouse.
~
~That should read NOW not , not :)

Oh! I did wonder... :)

Bought a very nice hotbox one on Ebay Jane, thank you, should just be in
time for summer heat wave starting :)

garden-addicted 21-03-2006 05:21 PM

As JennyC said this would be more than adequate..

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=599

It is the same output as the one you were looking at and Parasene is the UKs leading brand of greenhouse heater so you know what you are buying.

Chris Hogg 22-03-2006 07:45 AM

Fan heaters

http://tinyurl.com/khngo

It is the same output as the one you were looking at and Parasene is
the UKs leading brand of greenhouse heater so you know what you are
buying.

Except that the thermostats are suspect and seem to give rather a
large temperature difference between 'off' and 'on' (see some of the
earlier threads on this topic).

--
Chris

Sheldon Harper 22-03-2006 03:06 PM

Fan heaters

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

wrote:

As JennyC said this would be more than adequate..

http://tinyurl.com/khngo

It is the same output as the one you were looking at and Parasene is
the UKs leading brand of greenhouse heater so you know what you are
buying.

Except that the thermostats are suspect and seem to give rather a
large temperature difference between 'off' and 'on' (see some of the
earlier threads on this topic).

People don't like widely varying temperatures but plants, which
usually spend their lives in the swing between night and day,
seem to thrive in a somewhat erratic environment.

garden-addicted 22-03-2006 08:09 PM

I have been running that heater for a while now and using a min max thermometer the green house has never dropped below 5 degrees and hadn't risen above 10 degrees until recently.

So I am confident in the 3kw parasene heater to keep the frost out of my greenhouse.

We also have an 80ft by 30ft greenhouse and we use commercial heaters mounted on the ceiling. These are set to 15 degrees and they run until the temp is about 20 degrees until it turns off and then possibly doesn't come on until under 15 degrees. If it was to switch on and off at 15 degrees it would be going on and off all the time.

In fact if its running at 15 degrees I can turn the controller down to 10 degrees before it switches off and then turn it straight back to 15 degrees and it doesn't come back on for a while.

garden-addicted 22-03-2006 08:12 PM

In fact if anybody owns a Parasene Electric heater in this forum you can actually leave your feedback on the heater on the garden4less web site.

Just go to the product page and just below the add to cart button is an add review button. I would love to know what people thought of that heater.

Sheldon Harper 23-03-2006 03:34 AM

Fan heaters

garden-addicted wrote in
:

I have been running that heater for a while now and using a min max
thermometer the green house has never dropped below 5 degrees and
hadn't risen above 10 degrees until recently.

So I am confident in the 3kw parasene heater to keep the frost out of
my greenhouse.

We also have an 80ft by 30ft greenhouse and we use commercial heaters
mounted on the ceiling. These are set to 15 degrees and they run until
the temp is about 20 degrees until it turns off and then possibly
doesn't come on until under 15 degrees. If it was to switch on and off
at 15 degrees it would be going on and off all the time.

In fact if its running at 15 degrees I can turn the controller down to
10 degrees before it switches off and then turn it straight back to 15
degrees and it doesn't come back on for a while.

Quality thermostats used in well insulted residential quarters
typically have a 1.0 to 1.6 degree F (.52 to .83 degrees C) on
to off cycle with a built in heat anticipator. Areas with poor
insulation, such as greenhouses, generally have a wider range
and no heat anticipation built into them because a slight
overshoot during the heating part of the cycle is no big deal.

Janet Tweedy 23-03-2006 09:22 AM

Fan heaters

In article , garden-addicted
writes

We also have an 80ft by 30ft greenhouse and we use commercial heaters
mounted on the ceiling.

Oh wonderful! That would be one of my wishes rather than a huge luxury
house etc if I won any money :)

What do you grow/propogate in there then?
I shall frame the email and stick it on my wall to show people that some
gardeners have the RIGHT facilities :)

Janet