Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Sally Thompson

Default Creosote or tar on sleepers

We've had one of our very steep banks made more accessible with some
steps made from railway sleepers and stone. The trouble is that the
sleepers are oozing tar or creosote in the sun. What would people
advise is the best way to treat them?

The steps aren't in regular use, but we really don't want this stuff
trodden into the house.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply
Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Drakanthus

ST We've had one of our very steep banks made more accessible
ST with some steps made from railway sleepers and stone. The
ST trouble is that the sleepers are oozing tar or creosote in
ST the sun. What would people advise is the best way to treat
ST them?

Sorry you've fallen into the sleeper-trap.

I can't think of much. It will weep constantly in warm weather (nasty
stuff too, creosote is a known carcinogen). Sealing it with varnish or
similar just won't work - there ain't a lot that'll stick to tar.
Simon Avery

My father used railway sleepers in the construction a tractor shed forty years
ago - and they still weep tar in hot weather!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Simon Avery
writes
(Sally Thompson) wrote:
ST We've had one of our very steep banks made more accessible
ST with some steps made from railway sleepers and stone. The
ST trouble is that the sleepers are oozing tar or creosote in
ST the sun. What would people advise is the best way to treat
ST them?

Sorry you've fallen into the sleeper-trap.

The only suggestion I can make is a physical covering of stone,
paving, boards - something like that.

Sprinkle with sand maybe to stick to the tar?
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Berridge

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in message ...

Sprinkle with sand maybe to stick to the tar?
--

They would still get soft in hot weather, and continue to weep more.
Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 10-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:11:39 +0100, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in message ...

Sprinkle with sand maybe to stick to the tar?
--

They would still get soft in hot weather, and continue to weep more.
Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
to carcinogenic properties. Replace with new sleepers, or continental
ones that are not creosoted.

Not possible sadly - major construction job. Oh well, thanks anyway
to everyone for your thoughts.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Michael Berridge" writes:

| Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
| to carcinogenic properties.

I doubt very much that is the real reason. It is almost certainly
because the chemical companies can make a lot more money selling
their much less effective solutions. They have been pressuring
the government and EU to ban creosote for a decade.

While creosote IS slightly carcinogenic, I know of no evidence that
it is a realistic risk. Nor that it is actually more harmful to the
environment than the alternatives. There may be some, but wasn't
when I last looked.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Stephen G

What type did Alan Tichmarsh use on Ground Force & GW. Has he created a
problem for others and himself?

Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Sally Thompson
writes
wrote:

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in message ...

Sprinkle with sand maybe to stick to the tar?
--

Replace with new sleepers, or continental
ones that are not creosoted.

Not possible sadly - major construction job. Oh well, thanks anyway
to everyone for your thoughts.

Cover the tops of the sleepers with something? Say some other boards of
timber?
Old 13-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Saunby

"Michael Berridge" writes:

| Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
| to carcinogenic properties.

I doubt very much that is the real reason. It is almost certainly
because the chemical companies can make a lot more money selling
their much less effective solutions. They have been pressuring
the government and EU to ban creosote for a decade.

While creosote IS slightly carcinogenic, I know of no evidence that
it is a realistic risk. Nor that it is actually more harmful to the
environment than the alternatives. There may be some, but wasn't
when I last looked.

It's probably worse than that. Nobody makes creosote for it's own sake,
it's a waste product from the manufacture of coke. If it can't be sold
(and in truth it's almost given away) then it will have to be disposed of
somewhere. I wonder where it will turn up?

Michael Saunby

Old 16-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Michael Saunby
writes

| Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
| to carcinogenic properties.

I saw both light and dark creosote on sale today [16.04.03] in B&Q.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Lord Hawke

Alan Gould wrote onWed, 16 Apr 2003 18:56:27 +0100 :

In article , Michael Saunby
writes

| Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
| to carcinogenic properties.

I saw both light and dark creosote on sale today [16.04.03] in B&Q.

Yet our B&Q, only about 40 miles from Lincolnshire tell me they have no
sleepers in stock and will no longer be stocking sleepers of any kind.

Alas, given the lack of motivation of dstaff there, and their knowledge
about gardening products, I wouldn't be in the lerast surprised to see
them on special offer next week.
Old 18-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Lord Hawke
writes
In article , Michael Saunby
writes

| Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
| to carcinogenic properties.

I saw both light and dark creosote on sale today [16.04.03] in B&Q.

Yet our B&Q, only about 40 miles from Lincolnshire tell me they have no
sleepers in stock and will no longer be stocking sleepers of any kind.

Alas, given the lack of motivation of dstaff there, and their knowledge
about gardening products, I wouldn't be in the lerast surprised to see
them on special offer next week.

I was buying plumbing sundries in the S****horpe B&Q. I didn't go
outside to the gardening area that time, so I don't know if they were
selling sleepers, but they had plenty of creosote on sale in the timber
treatment section. I agree that it shouldn't be permitted, but then they
sell a lot of other equally toxic preparations.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Jon Rouse

In article , Alan Gould
writes
I was buying plumbing sundries in the S****horpe B&Q. I didn't go
outside to the gardening area that time, so I don't know if they were
selling sleepers, but they had plenty of creosote on sale in the timber
treatment section. I agree that it shouldn't be permitted, but then they
sell a lot of other equally toxic preparations.

If you are thinking of buying pressure treated timber as a replacement
for sleepers, it may be worth waiting a few weeks, as I believe the
arsenic content of CCA is about to be banned.

Jon
--
E-mail bouncing? Make sure your mailer is set to 'plain text' and not 'html'.
Old 22-06-2003, 10:57 AM
AndWhyNot

"Michael Berridge" writes:

| Creosote treated sleepers are now banned from sale, as is creosote due
| to carcinogenic properties.

I doubt very much that is the real reason. It is almost certainly
because the chemical companies can make a lot more money selling
their much less effective solutions. They have been pressuring
the government and EU to ban creosote for a decade.

While creosote IS slightly carcinogenic, I know of no evidence that
it is a realistic risk. Nor that it is actually more harmful to the
environment than the alternatives. There may be some, but wasn't
when I last looked.

It's probably worse than that. Nobody makes creosote for it's own sake,
it's a waste product from the manufacture of coke. If it can't be sold
(and in truth it's almost given away) then it will have to be disposed of
somewhere. I wonder where it will turn up?

Michael Saunby

In containers marked 'Creosole' or Creosote Substitute at 4 times the
price, and 4 times less effective .........

Bless the EU ..... they will be wanting straight bananas next :-|

Old Railway Sleepers Leaking Tar prevention? Jonathon United Kingdom 4 07-08-2010 08:14 PM
Creosote in soil kills lilac tree Snowflake United Kingdom 5 30-03-2007 02:07 PM
Solution to creosote(?) problem on sleepers Broadback United Kingdom 17 22-06-2005 08:40 PM
How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties James Eick Gardening 5 22-05-2003 07:56 PM
Creosote and fish itten Ponds 14 21-05-2003 09:20 PM