GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   re : Water Lily (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14140-re-water-lily.html)

janet.bennett 07-04-2003 09:56 PM

re : Water Lily

For Janet Galpin : re Water Lily - post in March 2003

Noticed in Morrisons (Supermarket) that they are selling a pack containing 3
or 4 plants for ponds. I'm sure amongst them was a water lily. Probably
worth checking out

Michael Berridge 09-04-2003 10:32 PM

Water Lily

janet.bennett wrote in message ...
For Janet Galpin : re Water Lily - post in March 2003

Noticed in Morrisons (Supermarket) that they are selling a pack

containing 3
or 4 plants for ponds. I'm sure amongst them was a water lily.

Probably
worth checking out

Tesco's have a complete water garden, £16:99 for pot, soil, and three
plants, Water lily, Water Hyacinth and Arrowhead, all you add is the
water, mine seems to be doing OK, all plants are now up.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Sue & Bob Hobden 09-04-2003 11:44 PM

Water Lily

"Michael wrote in message
Tesco's have a complete water garden, £16:99 for pot, soil, and three
plants, Water lily, Water Hyacinth and Arrowhead, all you add is the
water, mine seems to be doing OK, all plants are now up.

You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand any
frost.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Nick Maclaren 10-04-2003 08:20 AM

Water Lily

In article ,
"Sue & Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Michael wrote in message
|
| Tesco's have a complete water garden, £16:99 for pot, soil, and three
| plants, Water lily, Water Hyacinth and Arrowhead, all you add is the
| water, mine seems to be doing OK, all plants are now up.
|
| You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand any
| frost.

For which people in the UK should probably be grateful :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Michael Berridge 10-04-2003 01:08 PM

Water Lily

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote in message ...

You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand

any
frost.

--

Yes! the pot is small enough to be lifted into shelter..

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Sue & Bob Hobden 10-04-2003 11:08 PM

Water Lily

"Nick wrote in message .

| You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand

any
| frost.

For which people in the UK should probably be grateful :-)

Having seen the totally clogged up backwaters around Cochin (India), also
the Nile and other places at first hand I totally agree. Dreadful stuff as
far as boat traffic and water movement is concerned, but quite beautiful
when in flower, it also does a good job of filtering/cleaning the water.

JennyC 11-04-2003 07:20 AM

Water Lily

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote in message ...
You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't

stand
anyfrost.

Yes! the pot is small enough to be lifted into shelter..
Mike

Has anyone managed to keep one going over the winter?
I've tried to keep them indoors but they never survive.........
jenny

Nick Maclaren 11-04-2003 09:08 AM

Water Lily

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick wrote in message .

| You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand

any
| frost.

For which people in the UK should probably be grateful :-)

Having seen the totally clogged up backwaters around Cochin (India), also
the Nile and other places at first hand I totally agree. Dreadful stuff as
far as boat traffic and water movement is concerned, but quite beautiful
when in flower, it also does a good job of filtering/cleaning the water.

Clearly they need more hippos :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

A.Malhotra 11-04-2003 09:20 AM

Water Lily

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick wrote in message .

| You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand

any
| frost.

For which people in the UK should probably be grateful :-)

Having seen the totally clogged up backwaters around Cochin (India), also
the Nile and other places at first hand I totally agree. Dreadful stuff as
far as boat traffic and water movement is concerned, but quite beautiful
when in flower, it also does a good job of filtering/cleaning the water.

But also harbours the primary host of the bilharzia parasite, which is a
scourge in the countries you mention!
Anita

swroot 11-04-2003 06:45 PM

Water Lily

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick wrote in message .

| You do realise the Water Hyacinth is a tropical plant and won't stand

any
| frost.

For which people in the UK should probably be grateful :-)

Having seen the totally clogged up backwaters around Cochin (India), also
the Nile and other places at first hand I totally agree. Dreadful stuff as
far as boat traffic and water movement is concerned, but quite beautiful
when in flower, it also does a good job of filtering/cleaning the water.

Clearly they need more hippos :-)

Don't dugongs and manatees eat it as well? One could have a crack team
of all three disporting themselves while demolishing the plant matter.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley