GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cat scarers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141459-cat-scarers.html)

stevej 23-03-2006 04:39 PM

cat scarers

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

Steve

Sheldon Harper 23-03-2006 05:12 PM

cat scarers

"stevej" wrote in :

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

The absolutely best cat scarer is a dead cat. They
won't go anywhere near it.

Tab 23-03-2006 06:09 PM

cat scarers

"Sheldon Harper" wrote in message
"stevej" wrote in
:

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

The absolutely best cat scarer is a dead cat. They
won't go anywhere near it.

Dont think anyone will go near it after a while!!!

someone here 23-03-2006 06:09 PM

cat scarers

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

Yes I have an ultrasonic scarer.
My sons can hear it as a whine, giving them a headache.
The cats just poke their nose into the speaker and treat it with total
disdain.

YMMV

Dave

Aly 24-03-2006 01:45 AM

You're sick

Aly 24-03-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevej
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve
I LOVE cats but HATE them messing in my garden. I have cats.
I've got loads of humane suggestions (not like some people)!

1. Best way to get rid of them is to get one of your own (Not kidding)
(That probably won't happen, if you don't already have one so here goes)

Dry out some USED tea bags and spray with ralgex (or similar stinking muscle spray) not the low odour sprays you get. Bury the tea bags a couple of inches in the soil. (works for a few weeks). I just save all the tea bags and have a constant supply.

My mother has a terrible problem with cats so I got some plants called Coleus Canina (Scardy cat Plant). They are only annuals, and not that cheap (but you can take cuttings) There is no scent to the human unless rubbed and cats cannot stand the stench. I placed the plants (in pots) on parts of the garden where the problem is. These plants are not easy to get a hold off. Don't think you can mention websites here, but if you get in touch I can give you mail order address.

In saying all that, I have a border in my garden especially for my cats where I have grown Nepeta (catmint) and some ornamental grasses. I don;t have a problem with my own cat fowling, it's my neighbours.

I study horticulture at college and nearly all of the people at college have cats. It's weird, but most of the famous gardners have cats as well and it doesn't bother them (Alan Tichmarsh loves his cat).

Sheldon Harper 24-03-2006 05:27 AM

cat scarers

Aly wrote in news:Aly.255iw2
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Sheldon Harper Wrote:
"stevej" wrote in
:

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

The absolutely best cat scarer is a dead cat. They
won't go anywhere near it.

You're sick

Your own presumptions lead you to the conclusion.

stevej 24-03-2006 09:13 AM

cat scarers

..
The cats just poke their nose into the speaker and treat it with total
disdain.

Thanks for saving me the expense of one then Dave!

cheers
Steve

stevej 24-03-2006 09:19 AM

cat scarers

Hi Steve
I LOVE cats but HATE them messing in my garden. I have cats.
I've got loads of humane suggestions (not like some people)!

I hate cats, but am looking for humane suggestions. I don't believe in
spoiling other folks pleasure it's a shame most cat owners dont reciprocate.

1. Best way to get rid of them is to get one of your own (Not kidding)
(That probably won't happen, if you don't already have one so here
goes)

Not likely

Dry out some USED tea bags and spray with ralgex (or similar stinking
muscle spray) not the low odour sprays you get. Bury the tea bags a
couple of inches in the soil. (works for a few weeks). I just save all
the tea bags and have a constant supply.

This is a new one to me, thanks

My mother has a terrible problem with cats so I got some plants called
Coleus Canina (Scardy cat Plant). They are only annuals, and not that
cheap (but you can take cuttings) There is no scent to the human unless
rubbed and cats cannot stand the stench. I placed the plants (in pots)
on parts of the garden where the problem is. These plants are not easy
to get a hold off. Don't think you can mention websites here, but if
you get in touch I can give you mail order address.

Thanks, I have seen them in a garden centre I know, I think they are
commonly called 'pee off' plants.

In saying all that, I have a border in my garden especially for my cats
where I have grown Nepeta (catmint) and some ornamental grasses. I don;t
have a problem with my own cat fowling, it's my neighbours.

That seems to be the way, cats don't mess on there own patch

I study horticulture at college and nearly all of the people at college
have cats. It's weird, but most of the famous gardners have cats as well
and it doesn't bother them (Alan Tichmarsh loves his cat).

Probably because it solves the problem as you suggested in (1)

Many thanks for your thoughts

Steve

Aly 24-03-2006 02:04 PM

This is a gardening forum so **** off

Alan 24-03-2006 03:01 PM

cat scarers

In message , stevej
wrote

snip

Probably because it solves the problem as you suggested in (1)

Cat owner should be encouraging their own pets to shit in their OWN
gardens.

Anyone that says that they don't have a problem with their own cat in
their own gardens are probably the antisocial and irresponsible people
that shouldn't own cats in the first place because they are willing to
export their problems to their neighbours.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Sheldon Harper 24-03-2006 03:32 PM

cat scarers

Aly wrote in news:Aly.256g87
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Sheldon Harper Wrote:
Aly wrote in news:Aly.255iw2
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Sheldon Harper Wrote:
"stevej"
wrote in
:

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

The absolutely best cat scarer is a dead cat. They
won't go anywhere near it.

You're sick

Your own presumptions lead you to the conclusion.

This is a gardening forum so **** off

There's related drift all over the place in every newsgroup, so
just drop the sanctimonous act. You've spewed about two of your
personal problems so far, got some more, "netcop"?

Your entire participation in this forum begins with calling
me sick on the 23'rd of March 2006 and your *only* participation
is in this thread about cats with a total of 3 posts. You subscribe
through a web interface called gardenbanter.com. It took you 7.5
hours to read my post, sign up on gardenbanter.com, and reply.

I won't confuse you with an ordinary misguided person as you're
just trolling. Have fun, and remember that it was doubtless your
sort of behavior that enraged someone who flooded this newsgroup
for a while. One would have thought that to have been a learning
experience. Obviously you're too thick to learn anything of
consequence.

La Puce 24-03-2006 03:35 PM

cat scarers

Alan wrote:
Cat owner should be encouraging their own pets to shit in their OWN
gardens.

HO! The way you're going with this! How would you encourage your cat to
do this I wonder?

Anyone that says that they don't have a problem with their own cat in
their own gardens are probably the antisocial and irresponsible people
that shouldn't own cats in the first place because they are willing to
export their problems to their neighbours.

You know what they say ... cats don't have owners. I understand your
point, so do many I am sure, but this is not a problem that has just
appeared. It's been with us for decades. I suppose now that people are
realising the potential of their gardens, they come to also realise the
problems with the neighbours cats. Just scare the cats off, get a Jack
Russell or another male cat and they won't come into your garden. It's
not something to get *that* bothered about.

Sheldon Harper 24-03-2006 03:57 PM

cat scarers

Alan wrote in news:
:

In message , stevej
wrote

snip

Probably because it solves the problem as you suggested in (1)

Cat owner should be encouraging their own pets to shit in their OWN
gardens.

Anyone that says that they don't have a problem with their own cat in
their own gardens are probably the antisocial and irresponsible people
that shouldn't own cats in the first place because they are willing to
export their problems to their neighbours.

You know, it really doesn't signal the end of the world if a cat
shits in your garden.

My neighbor's cats come over here to hunt because I mow my meadows.
They keep the mouse, shrew, and rabbit population in check. They
catch and eat the wild baby rabbits all summer long. An exploding
rabbit population would doubtless be a source of much more trouble
than a pair of hunting cats. Those cats provide me with wonderful
services essentailly free.

I have ravens patrol the mowed meadow part of the summer as well.
They're primarily after toads, but will also kill and eat field
mice should they spot one.

I don't care where the cats deposit their leavings. That's the
only cost of having those hunters about, and that's a cost I
can easily live with. No one can completely control everything
in the world. Chill out and learn to enjoy.

In the past few days a man obsessed with his lawn shot and killed
a young boy for walking across his grass. This cat thing in urg
isn't very far off that mentality.

someone here 24-03-2006 05:06 PM

cat scarers

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , stevej
wrote

snip

Cat owner should be encouraging their own pets to shit in their OWN
gardens.

Anyone that says that they don't have a problem with their own cat in
their own gardens are probably the antisocial and irresponsible people
that shouldn't own cats in the first place because they are willing to
export their problems to their neighbours.

Cats use their fouling to mark the edge of their territory, it also
co-incides with the neighbour cat who also uses the same space to mark their
edge.
If you own a cat, and it is territorial then the edge will be off your
property.
If you live in a suburban area and your neighbours collectively have 16 cats
between them it doesn't matter if your cat is territorial or not. Your
garden will be the edge aka cat communal toilet.
So I have the problem of animal fouling in my garden.

Latent toxoplasmosis, conjunctivits, salmonella and worms are all carried by
animals
and are capapble of being transferred to humans.

That is the problem I have.
Protecting the children I look after from this problem is my difficulty.
Oh yes and there is the smell. I can't stands the smell.