Old 31-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Registered User

Default callistemon citrinus splendens

Can anyone help?
We were given a Callistemon Citrinus Splendens last summer when our son Calum died aged 16. (As you can see, it was carefully chosen by the donor because of its name)
We live in north Lancashire., 1/2 mile from the shore of Morecambe Bay - think cockle tragedy and you are extremely close - but over a hill. It is planted in poor quality - stony, clay - with lots of peat added - soil. Full sun when available, very open to wind and frost.
Over the winter the leaves have dried to a silvery pale green colour but not dropped. Should I just leave it to see what happens? How long for? (the season AFTER this one coming?)
Any suggestions gratefully received!
Liz Lawrie
Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

lizlawrie wrote:
Can anyone help?
We were given a Callistemon Citrinus Splendens last summer when our son
Calum died aged 16. (As you can see, it was carefully chosen by the
donor because of its name)
We live in north Lancashire., 1/2 mile from the shore of Morecambe Bay
- think cockle tragedy and you are extremely close - but over a hill.
It is planted in poor quality - stony, clay - with lots of peat added -
soil. Full sun when available, very open to wind and frost.
Over the winter the leaves have dried to a silvery pale green colour
but not dropped. Should I just leave it to see what happens? How long
for? (the season AFTER this one coming?)
Any suggestions gratefully received!

Hello, Liz. First I'd like to say how very sorry I am to read of your
dreadful loss, nothing more terrible can befall a parent and you have
my warmest sympathy.
I've visited your part of the world a couple of times because I had
friends living in Milnthorpe and from what I gather, winters can be
pretty severe but perhaps you benefit from being not too far from the
shore? Callistemon are not reliably hardy and in frost ridden areas
it's better to grow them in a container and move them into winter
shelter. But with luck yours has survived and will live to tell the
tale. If it has, you'll probably see it putting on new leaves when
spring really does arrive and if I were you, next year I'd cover it
with horticultural fleece for frost protection. In very dry weather,
water it sparingly but don't allow it to sit in a puddle. But if you
have a greenhouse or conservatory, you might be happier to put it in a
tub and keep it inside.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-04-2006, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"lizlawrie" wrote in message

Can anyone help?
We were given a Callistemon Citrinus Splendens last summer when our son
Calum died aged 16. (As you can see, it was carefully chosen by the
donor because of its name)
We live in north Lancashire., 1/2 mile from the shore of Morecambe Bay
- think cockle tragedy and you are extremely close - but over a hill.
It is planted in poor quality - stony, clay - with lots of peat added -
soil. Full sun when available, very open to wind and frost.
Over the winter the leaves have dried to a silvery pale green colour
but not dropped. Should I just leave it to see what happens? How long
for? (the season AFTER this one coming?)
Any suggestions gratefully received!
Liz Lawrie
lizlawrie

hello Liz
It would indeed be sad if you lost the plant. Try scraping the bark gently with
your thumb on a stem near the ground. If it shows green it means the plant is
still alive and should recover. If its brown then its probably been too badly
hit by the frost.
You might want to bring it inside next winter if it does recover. They are not
very frost hardy.
Jenny

Soil type for bottle brush/Callistemon Citrinus Pauli BP United Kingdom 4 20-09-2010 09:06 PM
Ctsm.Splendens tenman Orchid Photos 0 13-11-2008 09:16 PM
Callistemon citrinus (Bottlebrush) problems Paul United Kingdom 21 27-01-2004 08:56 PM
Callistemon citrinus (Bottlebrush) problems Paul United Kingdom 2 21-01-2004 04:47 PM
Ameca-splendens James Ervin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 06-05-2003 06:56 AM