Old 01-04-2006, 03:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Problem Greenhouse foundations

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I have just spent the afternoon trying to remove the foundations of an 8 x
12 ally greenhouse with/for a neighbour.
Three rows off well cemented solid brick below soil level was OK and what

we
half expected, but it was on top of a foundation of a foot wide and at

least
that or more* thick of reinforced concrete. (We dug down beside it at

least
a foot and didn't find the bottom)
OTT for a light aluminium greenhouse? We thought so.
We had to leave the concrete, it would need serious builders machinery to
remove, and he will just extend his lawn and grass over it, after all,

it's
three brick down below soil level.
The veg patch he was going to have there will have to go elsewhere.

I think you have discovered a home made nuclear fall out shelter that the
previous owner converted to a 'light' greenhouse. Either that or some
varieties of potato obviously have very effective roots or the previous
owner was dead scared on weeds coming through and put down some permanent
mulch.

rob

Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-04-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:44:16 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote
(in article ):

I have just spent the afternoon trying to remove the foundations of an 8 x
12 ally greenhouse with/for a neighbour.
Three rows off well cemented solid brick below soil level was OK and what we
half expected, but it was on top of a foundation of a foot wide and at least
that or more* thick of reinforced concrete. (We dug down beside it at least
a foot and didn't find the bottom)
OTT for a light aluminium greenhouse? We thought so.
We had to leave the concrete, it would need serious builders machinery to
remove, and he will just extend his lawn and grass over it, after all, it's
three brick down below soil level.
The veg patch he was going to have there will have to go elsewhere.

His wife hasn't recently disappeared has she?g

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk