Old 01-04-2006, 04:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Compost going to work

I gave the back lawn a really close shave yesterday and emptied bags and
bags full of grass onto my compost heap over a layer of cardboard and paper
which was covering another smaller layer of grass. I covered the motherload
grass layer with a layer of cardboard. We had quite a heavy rain dump last
night and showers today. I have just gone out to check the compost heap and
put my hand down into the grass layer. It is heating up very well already. I
couldn't keep my hand in due to the heat. The compost is certainly going to
town at present.

rob

Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"George.com" wrote in message
I gave the back lawn a really close shave yesterday and emptied bags and
bags full of grass onto my compost heap over a layer of cardboard and
paper
which was covering another smaller layer of grass. I covered the
motherload
grass layer with a layer of cardboard. We had quite a heavy rain dump last
night and showers today. I have just gone out to check the compost heap
and
put my hand down into the grass layer. It is heating up very well already.
couldn't keep my hand in due to the heat. The compost is certainly going
town at present.

At this stage, a huge pile of grass clippings is very satisfying as it goes
sub-critical and heats up. In 4 weeks though, it can go cold and soggy and
then it can go anaerobic. To stop that you have to turn it (move it into a
vacant empty bin beside the one you have or dig it all out and put it back)
to aerate it and/or mix in some drier stuff like shreddings or straw. If it
goes really anaerobic and slimy it is hard to use. If it is just a big
pile on the ground, then it is easy enough to mix around and turn.

rob

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 10:19 AM
Fish are going going......... ReelMcKoi Ponds (moderated) 8 23-03-2009 08:33 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 01:23 AM
[IBC] going no mail...going HOME! alicia-dr-hankins Bonsai 0 24-05-2004 04:05 PM