Old 02-04-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Merlin

Default How to kill conifer roots

I have spent a nice Sunday afternoon cutting down a 3 meter conifer
to ground level and it is not possible to dig out any lower without
digging up the public foot path or my tarmac drive.

What I want to do now is to kill the stump and root system.
The stump is approx. 30cm across.
I hunted around the garage and found a old bottle of SBK,
so I drilled in some holes and poured it in the stump.

What else would help or speed up the process and
how long do you think it will take to die so that it will be easy
to smash the stump out.

I need to extend my path over the top of it eventually.

TIA

Mike

Old 02-04-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Mike wrote ...
I have spent a nice Sunday afternoon cutting down a 3 meter conifer
to ground level and it is not possible to dig out any lower without
digging up the public foot path or my tarmac drive.

What I want to do now is to kill the stump and root system.
The stump is approx. 30cm across.
I hunted around the garage and found a old bottle of SBK,
so I drilled in some holes and poured it in the stump.

What else would help or speed up the process and
how long do you think it will take to die so that it will be easy
to smash the stump out.

I need to extend my path over the top of it eventually.

You already have killed it simply by cutting it down, conifers cannot regrow
from old wood as they do not have dormant buds. Your SBK was wasted.
The stump and roots will gradually rot away over the next few years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2006, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Bob Hobden wrote:
Mike wrote ...
I have spent a nice Sunday afternoon cutting down a 3 meter conifer
to ground level and it is not possible to dig out any lower without
digging up the public foot path or my tarmac drive.

What I want to do now is to kill the stump and root system.
The stump is approx. 30cm across.
I hunted around the garage and found a old bottle of SBK,
so I drilled in some holes and poured it in the stump.

What else would help or speed up the process and
how long do you think it will take to die so that it will be easy
to smash the stump out.

I need to extend my path over the top of it eventually.

You already have killed it simply by cutting it down, conifers cannot
regrow from old wood as they do not have dormant buds. Your SBK was
wasted. The stump and roots will gradually rot away over the next few
years.

About eight if my conifer is anything to go by....I got a sharp spade and
rattled it into the stump hjalf a dozen times in a criss-cross effect. and
let nature take its course, the more you can 'open' the wood to the
elements, the quicker it will rot, although conifers have a resin in them so
take longer than other woods.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Merlin" wrote in message
I have spent a nice Sunday afternoon cutting down a 3 meter conifer
to ground level and it is not possible to dig out any lower without
digging up the public foot path or my tarmac drive.

What I want to do now is to kill the stump and root system.
The stump is approx. 30cm across.
I hunted around the garage and found a old bottle of SBK,
so I drilled in some holes and poured it in the stump.

What else would help or speed up the process?

Cover the holes into which you put the SBK with something removeable so you
can give the holes another fill of the stuff from time to time.

--
Brian

Old 03-04-2006, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Cover the holes into which you put the SBK with something removeable so

you
can give the holes another fill of the stuff from time to time.

--

Will SBK kill the root? I know it will not do it toooooooooooo much good,
but I thought that SBK should be applied to leaves as it is systemic.

Mike
who could be wrong again;-)

Old 03-04-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Bob Hobden wrote:
Mike wrote ...
[...]

get a nice meaty drill bit and a hammer drill, drill the shit out of the
stump as far down as you can go, and a number of holes, a fill with some
form of water attracting crystal. I did that with an old stump and it got
the rotting process away nicely. Another old stump forms part of my compost
bins. Everytime I dig the compost over the stump is smaller.

rob

Old 03-04-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Mike" wrote

Cover the holes into which you put the SBK with something removeable so

you
can give the holes another fill of the stuff from time to time.

--

Will SBK kill the root? I know it will not do it toooooooooooo much good,
but I thought that SBK should be applied to leaves as it is systemic.

It will kill the root of a non conifer, yes, it's worked for me.
Conifers die just by being cut down so no green is left.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Cover the holes into which you put the SBK with something removeable
so you can give the holes another fill of the stuff from time to
time.

No need - it's already dead. If you are prepared to pay, a stump
grinder would have it out in no time.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.