Old 03-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered User

Default Seen a plant, dont know what it is, any ideas??

On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it is.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Old 03-04-2006, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Zarch writes

On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone
wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful
purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it
is.

Any ideas anyone?

At this time of year, usually Aubretia
--
Kay
Old 03-04-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"K" wrote in message
Zarch writes

On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone
wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful
purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it
is.

Any ideas anyone?

At this time of year, usually Aubretia

Sounds like it although the OPs description of the foliage as being green
did not narrow it down much :-).
You can get it in garden centres all over UK but it comes in several
colours: some more red than purple and some quite
blue. You could end up buying one that was not quite the same as teh one
that caught your eye. I have never tried it but it looks like something
that would grow easily from cuttings. Do ask the owners though if you try
it.

--
Kay

Old 03-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarch
On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it is.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
I would make a guess at Aubretia from the description you give
Old 03-04-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , K
writes
Zarch writes

On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone
wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful
purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it
is.

Any ideas anyone?

At this time of year, usually Aubretia

My first thought was Cymbalaria muralis, FWIW.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Zarch writes

On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry
stone wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with
wonderful purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure
what it is.

Any ideas anyone?

At this time of year, usually Aubretia

My first thought was Cymbalaria muralis, FWIW.

Ivy-leaved toadflax? That was my second thought, especially with the
'growing thru cracks', but it never looks quite as showy as Aubretia.
Nicer up close, though. An underrated plant, though i think there is a
slightly bigger garden variety.

I'll bet heavily on aubrieta, though -- remember Zarch saw it only from
a distance, and I wonder if it's rather early for
cymbalaria/linaria/toadflax. Some fabulous cascades of it driving into
Bath yesterday for one my daughter's hospital appointments. Hardly any
foliage visible at all, though.

--
Mike.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Zarch wrote:
On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone
wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful
purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)
I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.
It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.
I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it
is.
Any ideas anyone?

Like this?! (This one's not mine, mine's controlled in a raised stone
bed with a perpetual sweet pea).

http://cjoint.com/?egpf6PLh4y

And that's aubretia like others suggested )

Old 11-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce
Zarch wrote:
On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry stone
wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with wonderful
purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)
I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.
It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.
I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what it
is.
Any ideas anyone?

Like this?! (This one's not mine, mine's controlled in a raised stone
bed with a perpetual sweet pea).

http://cjoint.com/?egpf6PLh4y

And that's aubretia like others suggested )

Brilliant everyone, thats what it is, Aubretia.

Think a trip to the garden centre over the weekend will be in store to get some.

Does it come in small plugs/plants. How many plants are required to make a display such as the one in the picture? Or does it just grow over time?

Is it a relativley cheap plant to buy?

Is now a good time of the year to buy/plant?

Many thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers, Z.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Zarch"
La Puce Wrote:
Zarch wrote:
[...]

It's a rockery plant. Usually smallish plants.
It grows pretty fast so a few should expand to make a 'carpet' fairly quickly.

Is it a relativley cheap plant to buy?

Think so :~))

Is now a good time of the year to buy/plant?

Yep

Many thanks for your help everyone.
Cheers, Zarch

If you like aubrietia, you might like this too :~)
http://tinyurl.com/k5ncx

Jenny

Old 11-04-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Zarch wrote:
snip
Brilliant everyone, thats what it is, Aubretia.

Think a trip to the garden centre over the weekend will be in store to
get some.

Does it come in small plugs/plants. How many plants are required to
make a display such as the one in the picture? Or does it just grow
over time?

It grows over time and spreads nicely, down and across a wall. How you
buy it will depend on your gc but I would imagine they'll offer it in
one or two sizes, if not more. For example, we sell it in 7cm pots and
in 2 litre ones.

Is it a relativley cheap plant to buy?

That depends on your gc! Again, as an example and because we don't do
mail order, I can tell you that we sell it for 75p for the 7cm pots and
£3.50 for the 2 litre pots.

Is now a good time of the year to buy/plant?

Yes. But speaking generally, anything you buy in a container can be
planted at any time of year. However, that said, there's little point
in planting anyting when the soil is cold and wet during winter,
because the plant won't get off to any kind of start. And with small
plants there's the danger of rotting the roots in wet soil.
If you like pretty wall plants, here's another you might like. It's
one of my personal favourites, so I'm biased! Enkianthus karvinskianus
http://tinyurl.com/em7hx
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk