Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default dreaded weeds in the lawn...

If it has small round leaves and grows out like a very thick mat it could
be some form of clover and a broad leaf weed spray will get rid of it.
Alternately a selective spray of glycosate weed killer on patches will also
kill it (the glycosate will travel along the stem and root network.
Spreading clover pops up in my lawn from time to time in clumpy patches. It
I can't did it out I just spray some round up at the centre and it dies off
fairly quickly.

However, clover is very useful for fixing nitrogen in to soil so the right
kind of clover should be encouraged, or at least tolerated, in lawns.

If you want to peruse a variety of clovers to see if your matches any, an
extensive list can be found at:
http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/4262#Subspecies

"SimonL" wrote in message
they are leaves on top and underneath, this thick root system, like a
highway network, just above the soil!

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:48:04 GMT, "pied piper"
wrote:

just use a selective weedkiller then reseed
"SimonL" wrote in message
A couple of years ago, we purchased a new home with a 6m x 6m patch of
newly laid turf out the back. It was lovely.

2 years later, one corner of it (the sunniest) has broken out into

leafy
weeds. I trimmed them with the mower (I keep it short) and have

noticed
the weeds have grown underneath the lawn like a darn beanstalk! I have
tried to rip them up, have done most....

now - to regenerate.

What do I do? Douse the area in weedkiller and wait? When can I

replant
the grass seeds?

Should I dig up the whole area with a ditch and refill it with potting
mix?

All lawns get weeds at some point.
Try to find out what the weeds are. Take a bit to a garden centre if
necessary. If they are broad leaved weeds, as opposed to the grass
leaves, lawn weedkiller should do the trick.
The weeds will be killed and the grass will stay. No need to do any
digging.

Pam in Bristol

The dreaded Tick Sian United Kingdom 13 17-05-2006 03:43 PM
The dreaded tick Sian United Kingdom 0 13-05-2006 05:36 PM
dreaded weeds in the lawn... SimonL United Kingdom 7 05-04-2006 11:41 AM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM