Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 AM

Default raspberry canes

Hi

I planted 5 raspberry canes in Feb (Autumn Bliss variety), following
all instructions on spacing and made sure soil had plenty of compost
mixed in, as well as adding fertiliser and mulched the soil to help
keep moist. I have been watering regularly, but the canes still show
no signs of life at all- no leaves or buds. Is this usual for an
autumn variety or are they dead/dormant?

thanks
R.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Joe Bloggs

I bought some last year, same variety and same thing. I thought I'd
wasted my money once again, so I gently scraped away the soil at the
bottom to see if there was any evidence of rooting, and eh, VOILA ! Here
are strong shoots coming from the roots, obviously this year's canes on
their way, maybe just a bit slower as they're new canes. Patience is a
virtue - it's a boring one though.....

Old 08-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Steve Harris

I planted 3 Autumn bliss in autumn and 2 more in December. The December
ones and 1 autumn one have leaves but the other two are quiet.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:09 PM
jane

On 8 Apr 2003 06:11:07 -0700, (R) wrote:

~no, I didn't cut them down at all- I thought that because they are
~Autumn variety I didn't need to. I have noticed a few new shoots
~coming out the ground, but no sign of life on the established canes-
~are the existing canes not going to fruit then?

No. Autumn raspberries fruit on current year's growth, so it's the
ground at the base you will need to watch, not the old wood. If you
have a few new shoots you've answered your own question! :-)

jane

~Because I have cocoa shell mulch, it is not easy to see how dry the
~soil is- so I have probably been watering if in doubt. Is it better to
~over-water than under-water?
~
~
~Victoria Clare wrote in message 8.222...
~
(R) wrote in news:6e0be8aa.0304072335.551c25c4
~ @posting.google.com:
~
~ Hi
~
~ I planted 5 raspberry canes in Feb (Autumn Bliss variety), following
~ all instructions on spacing and made sure soil had plenty of compost
~ mixed in, as well as adding fertiliser and mulched the soil to help
~ keep moist. I have been watering regularly, but the canes still show
~ no signs of life at all- no leaves or buds. Is this usual for an
~ autumn variety or are they dead/dormant?
~
~
~ Well half of mine are still at exactly the same stage, and mine were
~ planted in January. The other half are just starting into leaf now: I think
~ those that aren't get very slightly less sun because of the position of a
~ large holly tree that cuts out the light over them around midday.
~
~ I wouldn't worry yet.
~
~ Victoria

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Tim Tyler

R wrote:

: I planted 5 raspberry canes in Feb (Autumn Bliss variety), following
: all instructions on spacing and made sure soil had plenty of compost
: mixed in, as well as adding fertiliser and mulched the soil to help
: keep moist. I have been watering regularly, but the canes still show
: no signs of life at all- no leaves or buds. Is this usual for an
: autumn variety or are they dead/dormant?

I have 8 new canes. One shows vigorous growth from the base,
a couple of the others show buds from a couple of inches up the
cane - and the rest still seem to be dormant.

My taeberries and loganberries are more clearly doing better ;-)
--
__________
Old 09-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Dave Hunt

I planted 3 Autumn bliss in autumn and 2 more in December. The December
ones and 1 autumn one have leaves but the other two are quiet.

Hi Steve!
They fruit on new growth, and need cutting to ground level after fruiting ...in
autumn/winter..(yes, again we managed to pick a large handful on Christmas
Day!)
Mine were cut down in Feb, and are now all starting to throw up new shoots..
Maybe just leave yours this year to see what happens, and cut them down in
autumn/winter?...and if you want any more plants let me know and I'll give you
some next time we meet at a ceilidh!

Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----
Old 10-04-2003, 09:44 AM
jane

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:50:47 GMT,
(subbykins{Chrd}) wrote:

~On 8 Apr 2003 00:35:03 -0700,
(R) wrote:
~
~Hi
~
~I planted 5 raspberry canes in Feb (Autumn Bliss variety), following
~all instructions on spacing and made sure soil had plenty of compost
~mixed in, as well as adding fertiliser and mulched the soil to help
~keep moist. I have been watering regularly, but the canes still show
~no signs of life at all- no leaves or buds. Is this usual for an
~autumn variety or are they dead/dormant?
~
~thanks
~R.
~
~We cut ours down about 3 weeks ago, and it's got loads of leaves on it
~but no signs of upward growth yet. I've been told, don't know how
~true it is, that Autumn bliss will fruit in the first year. Our
~blackcurrants are going for it, and the older ones we discovered
~behind the shrubbery last year and hacked back have loads of little
~pink flowers on them. I'm hoping this means they're a summer fruiting
~variety rather than the autumn one we planted, ben nevis or something
~G.

I am pretty sure Autumn Bliss will fruit in the first year, though not
as prolifically as in later years. I definitely know the cultivar I
bought does, as I watched one of my fellow allotmenteers last year
picking them for months... she couldn't believe it. It was the first
year for my Glen Ample (summer fruiting) and they of course didn't do
anything. They don't look brilliant this year, either, having only
grown 2-3' canes last summer. But they too are already growing new
canes from the base for next year, so I am keeping them watered and
hoping for the best.

Anyone know what to feed summer rasps to get good strong canes for
*next* year? Not too worried about the effect on this year's fruiting,
I'd rather get a good plant first. I am suspecting I need high
phosphate for root development and high nitrogen for the cane growth
given how they spread!

Blackcurrants, yes, getting ready to flower here (Chilterns, snowy
today). By autumn ones I assume you mean late season? I've got
June/July ones through to August: Ben Connan, Ben Sarek, Wellington
XXX and a load of inherited plants that look like I'll get a monster
crop this year if the wretched pigeons don't get there first. The
gooseberries are already in full bloom and I hope that these recent
nasty frosts haven't clobbered them.